OWB Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bore_pig

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have a freestanding woodstove and know very little about OWB's. My coworker has a Taylor OWB. I will try to pass on his question the best I can. Here is the situation:

His induced draft blower kicks on at 120. The induced draft blower kicks off at 140. The problem comes in when nobody is around to put wood in the box. If the fire starts to get low and the temp gets under 120, the blower starts, and stays on. Even if no one is there to put wood in.

I guess what he is getting at is, when the fire dies, the temp gets low and the blower just keeps cycling cold air through the firebox. Which lowers the temp of the water. Is there a way to have the blower turn off at 140, turn on at 120, and turn off again at 110?

I know very little about these things! Any useful ideas you may have would be appreciated. I will pass on any ideas you may have. Thanks!

Thats too low of a temp range. Most OWB's operate between 160 and 190 degrees. This way if you run out of wood, you have enough stored heat to go for a few more hours before you lose heat to the house.

Also running at low temps will make your OWB corrode inside and out

Oh and my Woodmaster automatically shuts off at 120 to avoid blowing cold air like your buddy's does. I dont know what kind of controls the Taylor has, but usually there is an automatic shutoff

aquastat needed

you need an additional aquastat. the stove has one now to turn fan on and shut off when hot. you could also add one to shut fan off when water gets down to a certain temperature. they come in two types, normally closed and normally open,NC or NO . they run$ 60 to $100. cheapest on ebay

waterman hit it on the head.
I too have this problem and will be wiring in a second aquastat to prevent this .

Back