OWB ratings?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have heard of on online program that will do heat loss and load calcs. Sorry I don't remember what it's called or provide a link but see what you get with a search.

I gotcha, I figured it would be complicated.. What would someone expect to pay to have a heat loss calulation done for a residential home? I have a new home with new hvac, If everything seems to work well with the heating and cooling equipment i have, could a man go off of the size of the furnace/heatpump/ac to figure a btu per hour need?

I have no idea what it would cost, used to do it for free while doing estimates for new/retrofit jobs. You could maybe (???) get by with going off of the furnace/duct sizing if everything was done right during the design/install phase.

hardy

I can only comment on the Hardy H2. I'm in my first year of using it but I know several folks that have had them for a long time. Not the most efficient I'm sure but very simple and reliable. I've been burning pine and oak. Both burn fine. Plenty of hot water and puts off a lot of heat.

I imagine you can get a good idea what your heat load is by finding how many btu's you use an avr. winter compared to heating degree days. I have a hard time believing the heat calcs I've seen on the web. Some seem way off. Seems Central boiler is most common around here. They seem happy. P&M are gassifiers but I think some boilers are like hybrid gassers, not true gassifiers like Eko Woodgun ETC.

The EPA have a list but have recently pulled their efficiency ratings.

It will be interesting to see what happens when the existing boilers are properly tested

It would be reasonable to assume that there will be quite a few changes in the market.

I have a Central Boiler Classic 5036 and couldnt be any happier with it. The family and I left the house on friday night in december for a christmas gathering out of town and came home sunday afternoon and still had hot coals in the stove. I lowered the tstat to 60 and filled the firebox full. I heat a 80 gallon water heater and my ranch home with it. Very intelligent firebox designs with the baffles to create more surface area for heat transfer with the water.

Newby here.. tyring to decide on which OWB to buy, My neighbor has a Central, I know a man with a Hardy, and we have a dealer close by that sells Empyre.. I wonder if there is a rating chart I could look at before i purchase one? thanks!

Empyre makes a great gasifier. Simple design and easy to clean. I have a Pro 200 and couldn't be happier. Less expensive than P/M and CB also. a couple minutes twice a week to clean ashes, and 20 minutes once a month to clean the flue tubes. Bonus it that those stoves are made in TN too. My dealer literally drove there and picked it up and also toured the factory. I would buy again in a minute.

Newby here.. tyring to decide on which OWB to buy, My neighbor has a Central, I know a man with a Hardy, and we have a dealer close by that sells Empyre.. I wonder if there is a rating chart I could look at before i purchase one? thanks!

Here's a site that you can check out

http://woodboilerreviews.com/

I am researching and trying to decide betweent the P&M and CB gasifier units. I haven't been able to find much on pricing...

Owb

Got a Wood Doctor Converter gasification stove. Heats house (5Kft2 with 10' ceilings), domestic hot water and the hot tub. Winter heating bills went from 600-700/month to 100.

Here's a site that you can check out

http://woodboilerreviews.com/

I am researching and trying to decide betweent the P&M and CB gasifier units. I haven't been able to find much on pricing...

unfortunately those reviews are useless, most of them are by a few people that don't even own them and are just posting their opinions based on what they read on the internet. Then there is the owners that put a very favorable review within months of installing the units, and of course they aren't biased. Little different kind of people on that site, there. " elitists " comes to mind. But there is some very helpful and knowledgeable gents there. Just don't let your political views be known and you will get some good advice.

Id say check out the empyer brand if there close by, ive been runnin the pro200 gasser for 3yrs now works great love it...i choose that brand over cb due to the ease of use compared to the classic they sell...theres only one moving part on the empyer and the tubes you can clean in 10 mins everyother week ashes twice a week...great burn times and the support has been great. they answered any questions that ive had and givin me some really good advise on some other things...Check em out just my 2 cents worth....hoogie

How many people have more than one boiler?

The best you can expect is they have an idea of their own and can roughly compare to others they might know of.

How many people have more than one boiler?

The best you can expect is they have an idea of their own and can roughly compare to others they might know of.

in respect to what como just posted, all you need to do is read, and then read somemore...With that kind of investment i looked at just about every post that i could with the other brands and so on...lol using a paper clip on a $12000 investment was not my idea of the thing being built right. less moving parts = less headaches

plus, with respect to ratings, most people who own a boiler will love it and highly recommend it, even if its not the best bang for the buck. any boiler is better than no boiler. i love my CB 6048, but would I love it more than a gasification unit? i don't know. a CB gasification unit more than a P&M unit? i don't know. all i can say is my CB 6048 is superb and excellent quality, but if i had to buy another boiler i would look at every unit available and select what fits best for my use.

the OP should assess his specific needs and environment, do due diligence, and select the unit that best fits his specific circumstances. if he does due diligence he will make a good choice and be very happy with what he gets.

Yep, that is what I did then I went and looked at my short list.

I would make warranty an important factor. As you read some of the problems with different brands, you wanna make sure you have good support or are gonna try to never go down that road. For the price of an investment this size, I would want to get atleast 20+ years.

I would make warranty an important factor. As you read some of the problems with different brands, you wanna make sure you have good support or are gonna try to never go down that road. For the price of an investment this size, I would want to get atleast 20+ years.

And do not forget to ensure that they are backed by a reputable Insurance Company or Bank.

How about listing some with problems and problematic brands. I'm curious.

Latest posts

Back