OWB Woodshed design

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redstone

Reaction score
I am going to start building a 20x13 shed for my cb5036. How much room should I leave between the shed and the stove?The shed will be built on the right hand side of the stove,I was thinking about a 2' between them.
Friends have told me about woodsheds burning up and they said leave 10' plus.
Any advice?
Thanks!

Mine is built right over my Woodmaster. Never gave it a second thought. What is causing these woodsheds to burn down? Sparks out the stack? Coals falling out the door? My stack exits through the roof, not a tight seal but little room for sparks to get back down around the stack. The wood pile is kept back 5' or so from the door. There are concrete pavers on the ground around the door and out about 5'. I keep the chips and bark cleaned up inthe area around the stove right down to the concrete pavers we laid. I am having no troubles sleeping at night for fear of fire. The first year we had the stove there was no shed and no pavers. Was hard to keep things cleaned up and we actualy kept some wood waste around the stove to stay up out of the mud. Had a little smoldering fire too. Im thinking that if you keep the area around the stove policed that there is no danger of fire to your woodshed but that is based mosyly upon speculation at this point and time.

Wood shed near OWB

Hi Redstone,

Having an architectural baskground, two feet is fine but four is better; use metal siding with metal roofing and wood (post) framing for the shed in case there are any sparks from the flue. Putting the shed around the OWB is a little scary unless it is all metal construction. Heard of a guy who forgot to close the door to the OWB tight. It came open throwing sparks on the ground catching the whole shed on fire. I am glad to hear the other guy keeps his are clean. There is another guy up the road here that has his OWB in a shed because his wife did not want to get wet during rain storms (at least that is what he says).

Here is the best picture I have of my 4436 in It's shed. On the left side I only have 10inches on the right and back I have enough room to walk around and open the access door.

I do keep the coals/chips out from under the door. If there is a fire I bet it would be from wood/coals/chips in this area that cause it.

I would check with my insurance agent before I built anything. My agent informed me if my stove was not UL Listed they could not cover me. Also he mentioned a customer of his built a shed directly over their OWB and he had to drop their insurance. Not naming any names, but it is one of the largest insurance companies in the nation.

I would check with my insurance agent before I built anything. My agent informed me if my stove was not UL Listed they could not cover me. Also he mentioned a customer of his built a shed directly over their OWB and he had to drop their insurance. Not naming any names, but it is one of the largest insurance companies in the nation.

Good point. I would check with your insurance company first. My insurance company did not have a problem with it.

It's okay to name names here!

Brother in law burnt is shed down and melted the siding off the side of his house that faced the shed/stove.
His fault and he didn't listen to me...had single wall chimney going through shingled roof of shed. Roof underlayment (OSB) just kept charring over the years till poof she exploded. Told him for 3 consecutive years that he needed to change the roof to metal or go to triple wall stack.

I get some sparking out of the chimney when I am stoking it at times.I have a Central boiler.As long as you use a metal roof I would not give it much thought.Mine is 50' from the house just so I do not have an ins problem.

Here's another look-see.

:cheers:

JAL - just curious why your wood is split into such small pieces. I did not split much at all last year, used up to 16" rounds up to 30" long. Seems like alot of work, most people around here split alot of wood for inside burning. Those racks sure look nice and solid, great setup you have there.

JAL,

Nice use of the racks, will last many years, forever if maintained with good paint. Safe too, by breaking up that high of stack.
Split, dry wood for any woodburning appliance is a good idea.

JAL - just curious why your wood is split into such small pieces. I did not split much at all last year, used up to 16" rounds up to 30" long. Seems like alot of work, most people around here split alot of wood for inside burning. Those racks sure look nice and solid, great setup you have there.

My son was running the splitter and I was bucking the rounds ...he has the tendency to over split. Oh well.... the wood gets split.
Also the wood is 24" long.

Latest posts

Back