OWBs not selling?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johncinco

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I was at my local farm mart and saw a truck with a load of OWBs sitting there. I figured they must be getting some new ones. I talked with the owner and he said nope, they were picking them back up. He had sold a few, but the company was picking them all up, and they would be sold at a repo auction. I guess they were going out of business and the creditors were getting back all the merchandise that was out with all the dealers. I didnt go get the name of the boilers (no matter how fast I drove through the snow when I thought about it later) to find out where they would be selling. Aparently they are not made in Michigan though.

propane and natural gas are coming down in price. I think people are skeptical of owbs because of recent restrictions as well. I dont like them because I dont think they are really that great, use too much wood for what they actually do. Ill stick to my woodstove and pay the piper to heat my water.

They've been selling like hotcakes in this area. Several folks have turned their entire lawns into big wood piles. I'm not sure if some of these people realized the work involved in burning wood but they are finding out.:dizzy:

Here in NW Michigan there is a dealer with a bunch of Heatmor wood pellet/ corn boilers. They are sending them back to the company because they are not selling. But if you are looking for one that burns wood they are hard to find right now. Gas prices may be coming down but it is only temporary.

Some models of OWB are crap. The good wood burning ones sell. There are some start up companies that get going, have a bunch of fluffed up media, then sell their OWBs and the things fall apart, noone wants them and the company goes under. Depends on the company....

Last edited:
Seems like the cost, possible restrictive local ordinances and the fact that if you don't have access to a lot of cheap or free wood might make them less desirable. I have a woodstove now but plan on going with a wood furnace next year as I have a forced hot air system. The amount I spend on propane for hot water and cooking is minimal so there's no reason for me to even consider an OWB.

I picked up an old wood furnace ten years ago for 200.00
and kept it until I had a use for it. I have now heated my trailer
three years with it with overall cost of 350.00 counting new duct
flue etc. I have even heat all through the house mess stays outside
and I get paid to haul my wood home what more can I ask for?

Do a search on Michigan banning or regulating OWB's. I wouldn't consider one unless it met the newest EPA recommendations.
http://www.westmichiganrising.com/showDiary.do?diaryId=310
http://www.michigantownships.org/burnreg.asp
http://www.deq.state.mi.us/documents/deq-aqd-air-aqe-newlt-apr07.pdf

Living out in the country should provide the owner with the freedom to choose what they want to do for their heating needs. Our township requires extra stacks and a mechanical permit to make sure it meets code for the inside installation. I am okay with that.

With the aspect of the smoke, what is the differance between an OWB and a wood stove? One might put out more smoke but if you live out in the country to bad, if you do not like it move back to the city, it should be our choice!!! Less $$$ going overseas and more in our pockets!!!!! and the resource is renewable. On the aspect of government regulation the Michigan DEQ needs to look elswhere to enforce rules, I am not burning in an open pit. So leave me alone!!!! :clap:

I have seen too many people who think of their OWB as an incinerator. Tires, oil filters, household garbage, if it fits in the door they try to burn it. This gives OWB's a bad rep. If people burned seasoned wood only [like an indoor stove] the neighbors would be much more accepting.

Here in Michigan my buddy ordered a heatmore (wood burning) back in sept. and he was told they are on back order until January. I love mine but it sure likes to eat the wood.:censored:

I live just inside the boundry of the small town (population 3000) and before I even purchased my owb, I called the courthouse to make sure that there were no codes and there are none. I also talked to my neighbors before hand. I installed my Mahoning last year and couldn't be happier with it. As far as codes/permits and such, I didn't even have to get one when I built a new garage this summer......we also don't have vehicle emissions inspections in this great state of WV!:clap:

My CB 5036 is not too bad...but I wouldn't use on in a subdivision. After i load it, and the fire settles down, hardly any visible smoke....can't legalize stupidity!

My CB 5036 is not too bad...but I wouldn't use on in a subdivision. After i load it, and the fire settles down, hardly any visible smoke....can't legalize stupidity!

Can't make it illegal, either.....

Yeah, it's that period in between the those two points where it really snorts out the smoke. Mine usually only lasts 5-10 minutes or so.

Steve

Back