P T O driven splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saw is fine, usually get called a lot worse.

I have not found it yet, but need to check on another Cub Cadet part anyway, so when I call I will ask.

You're tractor is made by Kioti, and is also sold in the states as a DK35. Total sytem flow is 12.7gpm, but the aux flow is only 7.9, I find that odd, but can't find the listing on hydraulic pressure, YET!

the rest of the flow is attibuted to the power stearing believe it or not! this is pretty frustrating am almost ready to just buy one from tsc....i just dont really want another daam motor to contend with ill wait a little while longer.....i really do appeciate this i owe you man TYVM dont think 9 ton is good enough? tsc has a Speeco 3 point hitch for $650 thats the one im leaning toward if i go hydro........even if its not enough pressure for around another 450 i thinks me can go pto pump/resivoiur?? the 3 points big advantage to me is its mobility and 3 point hight adjustment for backsaving again ,through my thick skull i do not get the whole pto pumps speed thing at 540 does the tracktors hydrolics have a thing to do with a seperate pto pump and self contained fluid unit combos ability to push its max. ability or dont i get it yet 540 rpms =540rpms whether its a 70 hp. tracktor or a 35 hp :bowdown:

If you run with a PTO pump, your tractor hydraulics of not involved, the pump is made to operate at 540 rpm to get rated pressure and flow. the pump will have a mininmum PTO. HP. rating. = torque to maintain that 540, You have about 30 to 31 PTO hp you will be fine there.
That said I'm with the dead horse crowd. I have a TC-30 TLB, I never considered to PTO splitter. I have 2 splitters a TSC 22 ton speeco, $995 special, I'm happy with it, I also have a no-name 5" dia. 18" cyl. horizontal splitter powered by a 5hp side shaft briggs that was given to me. Once I got it running the hydraulics seam good, the briggs run, but lacks compression, looking for a replacement.
now I could get a PTO pump and power that splitter off the PTO, but I brand new 5hp is cheaper and more versatile

I don't want the hours running a splitter on my tractor, sitting there at close to max rpm to get 540 at the PTO.
I don't want another implement to hookup, BH, PHD, tiller, BB, turning plow, grader blade and rotary are enough.

I drag the splitter around with a 4-wheeler mostly, but the lawn mower tractor , your cub will do, I skid the logs with the tractor, or bucked loaded in the bucket, haul near the splitter in open ground, a second 4-wheeler has a 4' by 6' trailer on it , hauls to the wood pile.
I work this with my son, sometimes by myself.

1500psi max on your tractor hyd
is that when your relief valve dumps
what is your system rated at, it should be in your manual.
that is adjustable, but be careful
this is sometimes set on the low side, warranty issues
mines at 2100psi
get a grapple for your cub
maintaining small engines is part of the lifestyle
you can make more side money with that BH than you can selling firewood
with less effort.
just how I do it
good luck with your choices

Last edited:
If you run with a PTO pump, your tractor hydraulics of not involved, the pump is made to operate at 540 rpm to get rated pressure and flow. the pump will have a mininmum PTO. HP. rating. = torque to maintain that 540, You have about 30 to 31 PTO hp you will be fine there.
That said I'm with the dead horse crowd. I have a TC-30 TLB, I never considered to PTO splitter. I have 2 splitters a TSC 22 ton speeco, $995 special, I'm happy with it, I also have a no-name 5" dia. 18" cyl. horizontal splitter powered by a 5hp side shaft briggs that was given to me. Once I got it running the hydraulics seam good, the briggs run, but lacks compression, looking for a replacement.
now I could get a PTO pump and power that splitter off the PTO, but I brand new 5hp is cheaper and more versatile

I don't want the hours running a splitter on my tractor, sitting there at close to max rpm to get 540 at the PTO.
I don't want another implement to hookup, BH, PHD, tiller, BB, turning plow, grader blade and rotary are enough.

I drag the splitter around with a 4-wheeler mostly, but the lawn mower tractor , your cub will do, I skid the logs with the tractor, or bucked loaded in the bucket, haul near the splitter in open ground, a second 4-wheeler has a 4' by 6' trailer on it , hauls to the wood pile.

mines at 2100psi
with less effort.
just how I do it

Just looked at the manual for the loader thats made for this tractor exactly and it says the pressure relief valve is set at 2300 psi @ 7.9 gpms now im gettin a little x-cited here ,but it looks like im almost ready yes ? I already am making $$ with the BH started buss. jan. BACKHOE TO GO 35 per hr also have ph digger fin. mower, grade blade,boxblade,loader now hopefully splitter,not looking to make a ton of $$ with the splitter just tired of forkin over 3-4 hunert a yr.....tractor payments trailer,truck,insurence,,,all cost money and the beast is starting to pay me back some lemme know what you think about the relief valve setting i found in the loader book and ill let you alone for a while least till i get a cord or two struk TYVM p.s. i now ffigure to have about 15 ton of force whataya think i could go gas and get that $995 speeco deal too ,but just a little pretencious about the whole deal itsa life long decision and i dont like regretes had afew though

Last edited:
Just looked at the manual for the loader thats made for this tractor exactly and it says the pressure relief valve is set at 2300 psi @ 7.9 gpms now im gettin a little x-cited here ,but it looks like im almost ready yes ? I already am making $$ with the BH started buss. jan. BACKHOE TO GO 35 per hr also have ph digger fin. mower, grade blade,boxblade,loader now hopefully splitter,not looking to make a ton of $$ with the splitter just tired of forkin over 3-4 hunert a yr.....tractor payments trailer,truck,insurence,,,all cost money and the beast is starting to pay me back some lemme know what you think about the relief valve setting i found in the loader book and ill let you alone for a while least till i get a cord or two struk TYVM

With a 4" bore that puts you at 28,888lbs., a little more realistic number.

Now, if you haven't done it, go to Northertool.com and price out a cylinder and control valve. I think you are in for a bit of sticker shock!

mines at 2100psi
with less effort.
just how I do it
Grapple??? that a jaw or somthing for the front end or what?

With a 4" bore that puts you at 28,888lbs., a little more realistic number.

Now, if you haven't done it, go to Northertool.com and price out a cylinder and control valve. I think you are in for a bit of sticker shock!

nicer # but is it big enough ( loaded qeustion i know ) regrets are a bad thing too . whatdaya mean price em out ... for future repairs or building one? confused in Kentuck

Last edited:
nicer # but is it big enough ( loaded qeustion i know ) regrets are a bad thing too . whatdaya mean price em out ... for future repairs or building one? confused in Kentuck

Priec out a cylinder with at least a 4" bore and a stroke close to what you want for firewood length. One that is 4" bore with 24" stroke costs $229, then $70 and up for a control valve, plus plumbing the sucker, at least three hoses. That doesn't include the steel needed either, unless you have a chunk of I-beam laying around that is. It adds up fast, believe me!

Those numbers, if correct, set you around 14 ton, you will still be kicking off a lot of twisted and gnarly peices that you wont have the power to split.
Now.................. If you want to spent the money, you can go with a larger bore cylinder this will give you more tonnage, but will also slow down cycle time a bunch as well. It's all give and take, and time and money.

I believe he originally was looking at a TSC 3ph log splitter. $665
now at 2300psi max 7.8 gpm just over 14 ton on his tractor.
and or buy a pto hydraulic pump $400 at northern tool again 11.4 gpm at 540rpm, and need a reservoir of at least 11 gallon per prince's literature, it be faster

didn't list max pressure. for increased tonnage.
I don't know what to say about the 14 ton

I believe he originally was looking at a TSC 3ph log splitter. $665
now at 2300psi max 7.8 gpm just over 14 ton on his tractor.
and or buy a pto hydraulic pump $400 at northern tool again 11.4 gpm at 540rpm, and need a reservoir of at least 11 gallon per prince's literature, it be faster

didn't list max pressure. for increased tonnage.
I don't know what to say about the 14 ton

Well, going from the 1500, to 2300, it was a nice jump, but still on the low side of life.

And yes, the PTO is a much better way to go, but now we are in the price world of buying a stand alone unit! That is why I am encouraging him to price out this stuff and see if it's really worth it!

don't forget, he's also talking about firewood business on the side. i think he's expecting waaaaay too much work from that itty bitty tractor.

Hey, his itty bitty tractor is the same size as mine, plus he has 5 more hp
and mine does quite a bit of work, at my place and others, I make a few bucks on the side here and there, mostly with that small BH, gets in places bigger machine can't or won't for the monies offered , drilling post hole for people for padocks, and rotary cutting fields.
But I like playing in the dirt. pretend farming or oversize gardening,
takes the mind off the real job.
best toy I have.

Last edited:
Hey, his itty bitty tractor is the same size as mine, plus he has 5 more hp
and mine does quite a bit of work, at my place and others, I make a few bucks on the side here and there, mostly with that small BH, gets in places bigger machine can't or want for the moneies offered , drilling post hole for people for padocks, and rotary cutting fields.
But I like playing in the dirt. pretend farming or oversize gardening,
takes the mind off the real job.
best toy I have.
thanks for stickin up for me and my AMPLE size you just dont knock the size of a guys tracktornow and yes it works its little hignie off $$$$$$$

lil tractor,..

Your lil tractor has alot of ump, when it comes to driving a hyd pump at 35 gross pto hp,. thats around 8/10 times those little gas jobs,.. I have (NOT) done the research but if my memory serves me correctly the dump truck pumps run out at approx 1200, rpm ,. and put out about 30 gpm,.. so at 540 rpm you will get about 15 gpm,.They are cheap and durable,.. Theres one on ebay ,type in the serach box,... # 330089712543, you can gear it up with a chain and sprockets if you want more gpm, This would need to be researched to get more exact specs but definatily somthing I would look into,.. I think it will do the job without any gear ratio mods,.. and that would be real simple, and simple is good,...G,L Eric

Back