Pacific Energy Summit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

traditions

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Does any one have one of these stoves.I was thinking of getting one ,just plain black,to go in my basement.They say it will heat 3000 sq. ft. How are they on wood use and will it burn all night? Thanks for any info

i have it.

it's an insert.it will go all night on dry wood that is packed right.

we put in in the big addition living room with a high ceiling.it will run me out of the room.

it took a little getting used to being it's one of these newer style EPA stoves.it doesn't heat up as fast as the old Fishers or All Nighters.

I have one also, great stove. Like someone else said it takes a little time to get used to how it burns. I tend to let it get really going before I choke it down at all.

I have a summit and I heat nearly 5000 sqft with it. Very easy stove to operate and can get 12 hour burn no problem. There are days I wish I would have went with the Equinox when it is 10 below out but I would not hesitate to by another PE product...

I have the middle size Pacific Energy insert that does 2,000 ft. I wanted the Summit model, but it wouldn't fit in my fire box. I'm very happy with the unit. It doesn't get the extended burn time of the Summit, however, I cut my oil consumption by half. Bring on the ice storms. Here's a pic.

you must live in the rich section of CT.................

with that fancy gold door.:hmm3grin2orange:

The gold trim got the old lady to say "Yes." Now that gold is over $1k an ounce, the door is probably worth more than the stove.

since our is placed in a brick hearth in the kitchen, I went with the brushed nickel to fancy up the black box......

wow,

The gold trim got the old lady to say "Yes." Now that gold is over $1k an ounce, the door is probably worth more than the stove.

i didn't think it was actually gold.figured brass maybe.ours had a silver or nickel one last summer.they didn't have a black door in stock when they installed it.it had the black door before it was burn season though.

Thanks for the replies,The summit I am looking at is the free standing stove, not the insert.I am looking for a stove to put down cellar to heat my 2 story house.

i like my insert.

Thanks for the replies,The summit I am looking at is the free standing stove, not the insert.I am looking for a stove to put down cellar to heat my 2 story house.

unfortunately ,we didn't have the setup for a stand alone.i prefer the stand alone over the insert.either way,the Summit is a great stove for EPA standards.

Traditions,
That Summit you are looking at is a beast. It weights over 450 lbs I think. Just get it, you won't be disappointed. I would have gotten it as a free-standing stove if I had the room and set up. My house came with a fireplace, so hence I got the insert. It comes with a lifetime warranty and has a lot of stainless steel components.

It'll do 3000 sq ft quite nicely.

In south central PA we use between 4 1/2 and 5 1/2 cord of wood per year, and about 20 gallons of fuel oil.

Free standing PE Summit is in the basement. We have extra returns cut in the ductwork and use the furnace fan to circulate the air as required.

After a 10 hour burn, and using good quality hardwood, there are easily enough coals to get things a roar'n in very little time.

Knowing what we know now, we would buy another.

I got a PE Summit. It is the free standing pedestal type. We absolutely LOVE it. Put a blower on it and you will not regret it. Easy to run, hot coals waiting for you when you get up in the morning. I literally start the fire and never use a match again unless I let it die out on purpose. Right now it is crazy around here as it seems Oct. and Nov. have traded places. Had to burn in Oct. because of 45 degree days and now it has been close to 70 for the last week or so.

I bought one late last year to replace an old Schrader airtight that had warped doors. I installed it in March or April, about the tail end of the burn time around these parts. I live in a very drafty, old, poorly insulated house, about 2000 sq ft, doors leak air like sieves, single pane windows, no insulation in the walls (can’t make improvements to these elements due to it’s owned by my employer).

I was not impressed.

It did not throw heat very well to the rest of the house, took a long time to get “hot,” and seemed not to burn any less wood than my old stove. I was actually thinking about swapping my old airtight back for this winter.

Then I bought the air blower for it.

With the blower on it, the stove probably heats the entire house twice as well as my old airtight. Most remote corners of the house are warm, even the floors. I seem to be burning much less wood than before, just because the rest of the house is warmer so it takes longer to start feeling cold. Also, the glass door allows me to see what the fire is doing without having to open the door (if I open the door, I throw in wood).

Last night was cool, about 36 outside. I sat in a remote room, closed the door leading into the room with the stove in it, and then opened the door leading outside for about a half hour just to cool off.

Instead of maintaining the stove room (living room) at 80 degrees to keep the bedrooms at 60, now I keep the living room at 80, and the bedrooms are 70-75.

One key was I found it a little hard to light, hard to get a good strong draft established. Last time it went out, I’d bought some little packets of fire starter “Ignite-O” at the grocery store (“for my wife”) and some little starter logs. Made for a simple, one match fire, no fuss with split kindling, newspapers, or anything else. Given that I burn pretty much 24/7 in the season, I’ve determined that fifteen or twenty bucks for these products to ensure no fuss fires is a good investment.

Back