Pacific Energy Update

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NWnewguy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well, I have had the PE Pacific insert installed for 3 months now and feel like I can speak about it with a little more authority now. Firstly the thing that I regret most is not replaceing the propane insert the first year I lived in this house. The stove puts out a lot of heat and after initially being disappointed that the Summit would not fit in the fireplace without some modifications, I am glad that I got the smaller stove because I can burn it and not have to choke it down so that I don't run myself out of the house. The glass is small compared to some other stoves on the market and because of this it really stays clean. I have been very impressed with the glass, every couple of weeks I will use a paper towel and some glass cleaner and the little bit that has built up comes right off, no scrubbing or multiple applications or special cleaners. The stove does burn for a long time if I have some good Doug Fir to burn in it. I will load it up at 10:00 and when I come out in the morning at 6:00 the fan is still running ( it shuts off at low temperatures) and all I have to do is throw some more wood in and it is off and burning again. On thing I am disappointed in is the quality of Alder as a firewood. I have a ton of it and it stinks as a firewood. Not very hot, leaves a lot of ash and burns up quickly. I think the strangest thing is that I have only shovelled ash once since I got it and that was from burning those cheaper pressed logs the first few weeks. So in summary really nice stove and I am completely happy with it after the first burning season.

I appreciate the report about the insert. By next year, money permitting of course, I would like to have a free standing Pacific Energy Woodstove. The Silent Flame I have now does a great job to about 30 degrees F. Anything below that and it really eats wood.

Another update

Well after having to burn so much alder the past week and a half the ash was starting to build up a little so I thought that it was time to shovel ash for the second time since I got the stove. To my surprise when I went to shovel there really wasn't much ash, but a layer of clinker that was about 1 1/2" thick over much of the bottom of the stove. It really made it much easier than shoveling I just picked up the peices with a pair of tongs and it didn't put a bunch of ash in the air, yet it brought the level down to where it should be for better burning. So I guess I am curious if this happens to anyone else and if this is normal with the new stoves. ( it sure wasn't with my old stove) Has anyone else had this same experience? I can't think of a reason that it would be harmful, but I guess it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.

Latest posts

Back