Pacific Energy Update

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NWnewguy

NWnewguy

ArboristSite Operative
Well, I have had the PE Pacific insert installed for 3 months now and feel like I can speak about it with a little more authority now. Firstly the thing that I regret most is not replaceing the propane insert the first year I lived in this house. The stove puts out a lot of heat and after initially being disappointed that the Summit would not fit in the fireplace without some modifications, I am glad that I got the smaller stove because I can burn it and not have to choke it down so that I don't run myself out of the house. The glass is small compared to some other stoves on the market and because of this it really stays clean. I have been very impressed with the glass, every couple of weeks I will use a paper towel and some glass cleaner and the little bit that has built up comes right off, no scrubbing or multiple applications or special cleaners. The stove does burn for a long time if I have some good Doug Fir to burn in it. I will load it up at 10:00 and when I come out in the morning at 6:00 the fan is still running ( it shuts off at low temperatures) and all I have to do is throw some more wood in and it is off and burning again. On thing I am disappointed in is the quality of Alder as a firewood. I have a ton of it and it stinks as a firewood. Not very hot, leaves a lot of ash and burns up quickly. I think the strangest thing is that I have only shovelled ash once since I got it and that was from burning those cheaper pressed logs the first few weeks. So in summary really nice stove and I am completely happy with it after the first burning season.

PA Plumber

PA Plumber

Addicted to ArboristSite
I appreciate the report about the insert. By next year, money permitting of course, I would like to have a free standing Pacific Energy Woodstove. The Silent Flame I have now does a great job to about 30 degrees F. Anything below that and it really eats wood.

NWnewguy

NWnewguy

ArboristSite Operative
Another update

Well after having to burn so much alder the past week and a half the ash was starting to build up a little so I thought that it was time to shovel ash for the second time since I got the stove. To my surprise when I went to shovel there really wasn't much ash, but a layer of clinker that was about 1 1/2" thick over much of the bottom of the stove. It really made it much easier than shoveling I just picked up the peices with a pair of tongs and it didn't put a bunch of ash in the air, yet it brought the level down to where it should be for better burning. So I guess I am curious if this happens to anyone else and if this is normal with the new stoves. ( it sure wasn't with my old stove) Has anyone else had this same experience? I can't think of a reason that it would be harmful, but I guess it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.

Latest posts