Packing List for going south?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

northbrown80

Reaction score
Just was wondering if anyone has a packing list for going down south. I just want to have a packing list for when I go for hurricane relief work. A lot of times there is not a lot there so you have to rely on what you bring like water, and a generator. I just get stumped when I have to pack clothing. I just don't want too much, plus when you have a few other people in a small cramped area to sleep room is scarce.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!

stuff you need

Just was wondering if anyone has a packing list for going down south. I just want to have a packing list for when I go for hurricane relief work. A lot of times there is not a lot there so you have to rely on what you bring like water, and a generator. I just get stumped when I have to pack clothing. I just don't want too much, plus when you have a few other people in a small cramped area to sleep room is scarce.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!

a good sized cooler,a sleeping bag flashlights. cant go wrong with blue jeans and t shirts.if your doing relif work dont wear shorts trust me .a chainsaw and if you want to go all out a concrete saw will do wonders.if your not insured,down here you need to have insurance for pretty much every thing and they are strict about it.any more questions pm me.bill howe

Bring mosquito repellent!

Also, gasoline stays in short supply even after the power comes back on. Bring lot of gas cans so when you make a run you can make it worth your while.

Did I mention mosquito repellent? :)

Don't forget to bring a little patience. The old timers have a story for every tree in the yard and they want you to know the history before you cut into it. That may be true up north as well, but it takes longer down here because of the drawl. And don't ever refuse the sweet tea.

The further south you go the less clothing you will need, south is hot and humid, bring lots of t -shirts and plenty of laundry detergent. Bug spray, itchy powder, poison ivy medication, also a spare pair of work boots, when one pair is drying out from an afternoon t-storm. Be careful.

Clean water, trail mix, vitamins. Get a hanging black bag(sold at REI/campers' supply places) to heat water during the day so you can shower in the evening.

Just want to say thanks for all the responses. I almost forgot about the bug spray. Don't want to be caught without that!

Rene

Bring mosquito repellent!

Also, gasoline stays in short supply even after the power comes back on. Bring lot of gas cans so when you make a run you can make it worth your while.

Did I mention mosquito repellent? :)

Ah yes, the Mosquito... Louisiana state bird, right?

When you pack clothing for the South in Spring and Summer, think high humidity and heat... bring towels, a big igloo cooler and a Camelback. If you can stand to work in shorts, bring them too... Oh, and mosquito repellent. You don't get poison ivy do you?

Fitness Test

I went down for Hurricane Ivan in 2004. What to expect: Potentially no power for at least 7-14 days. No gas(I brought 15 gallons of mix), putting up with humid, hot weather for days on end(i.e., sleeping in sweat), heat rash,
a seemingly infinite variety of bugs(most which bite), saw dealers that don't have enough of anything(bring loops of chain/parts etc). Ice can be had IF you wait in line with hundreds of other folks for several hours for 2 bags.
If you are not used to the heat...pace yourself and work up to a level of steady performace over a period of time. And perhaps most importantly,
as was stated earlier, have PLENTY of patience 'cause you will surely need it.

mark

You may want to consider non-cotton, quick-dry clothing as you may have limited ability to wash and when you do it needs to dry quickly. Usually it's labeled something like CoolMax or something like that. It's really just a special breed of polyester used in high performance fabrics.

Because of the heat and humidity down here, cotton gets damp with sweat and stays damp and can cause rashes and chaffing. Especially underwear and socks. Go spend $15 bucks and get some Body Armor (or Dickies quick-dry undies and shirts for less if you can find them). You can also find quick dry cargo pants, but I'm not sure how they will hold up to thickets and tough work. The quick dry stuff tends to prick and snag pretty badly, but man is it more comfortable. Even if you wear non-quick-dry outer pants, the quick-dry under garments will at least wick much of the moisture away from your body.

I live down here and wear this stuff most of the time or else I always feel damp and uncomfortable. It's worth its weight in gold when it's 100F and 100 percent humid. If you're going to be in the sun all day, you may want to consider light fabric, light colors, long sleeved shirts to keep the sun off. When you're not wearing a helmet, consider a broad brimmed hat of some sort or else your ears will get parched.

Lot's of sunscreen & repellant.

Drink lots of water and don't allow yourself to get thirsty. Drink, drink, drink (water that is).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back