Paint for wood stove / furnace

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihl025

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with Thurmalox Stove Paint? I am looking to refurb an old wood stove / furnace that is quite rusty. I figured I would start from scratch and take everything down to bare metal. Just trying to find the best product for a quality job.

If you sand the rusty areas down, I'm sure it will work just fine.
I bought a can from Walmart and it works just fine.
Try to smooth out the rusted areas and then just spary over them and see what it looks like.

Try the 1200 degree High Heat paint from Napa. I used it for my woodburner project and was very happy. I paid $4.99 a can compared to $11.99 for the 750 degree stuff at the local stove shop. I have had my stove to 900 degrees with no fading or peeling. The cool thing is you can get the 1200 degree paint in black, red, yellow, and orange. I used red and black. Both have held up very well for over 2 years now.

After you paint it, either bring it up to operating temp on a warm day. It's gonna stink the first few times you run it after a fresh coat of paint.

Latest posts

Back