paint removal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balaban9331

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i'm rebuilding my 090 and want to get it repainted.short of sandblasting,which i don't want to do,what product would you guys suggest to remove stubborn paint?thanks,robert.

Try a fine gauge wire brush drill bit. I use those things for lots of stuff including polishing brass.

wire brush

i've used those before to get in to hard to reach places but never for removing alot of paint.maybe it's worth a shot.thanks.

Oven cleaner? Haven't tried that b4. That is something I might have to try some day! Also you can get this stuff called "zip strip". It is a paint and finish stripper that is safe on metals. Works pretty good since it comes with a little pump spray bottle. Just stinks a whole hell of a lot.

oven cleaner

a buddy of mine suggested this a while back and i didn't take him seriously at all.does it really work?will it damage the casting?

3M scuffing discs. They have several grades but get the one for aluminum. They take the paint off very fast and you can work out scratches as well. these are abrassive so be carefull. Here is a side cover that I stripped and then polished. This is the best thing I have ever found for stripping the paint off a chainsaw. I have even tried aircraft paint remover and it has a hard time doing it.http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=79669&item=4371686192&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

scuffing discs

nice finish on that cover.i got a 90 degree dumore with abrasive discs that might do the same.i was just being lazy in hopes that their was something out there that would do the work for me. :)

About the Oven cleaner-I actually haven't used it on aluminum. It has worked on steel for me. It also happens to be the ticket for cleaning up an oilsoaked tool handle or gunstock. It Strips the old finish and removes the oil from the surface. Oven cleaner is mostly lye. Read the label-I remember that it isn't suposed to remain on certain metals for an extended period. I think it will dull Aluminium.

Eldorado Chemical makes a "safe for all metals" paint remover that works great. It does not burn your hands and is not toxic either. It work great; I use it whenever stripping mag filght controls at work. One down side is a strong ammonia odor. The part number ir PR3133. Some oven cleaner are very corrosive to mag so be careful. Oven cleaners work well to de-gunk saw chains, though.

Jimbo

Jimbo

Latest posts

Back