Removing gasket sealer from cylinder and deck

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Couldn't find anything on search, YouTube was a bust...
Am trying to get the old orange gasket material off the motor parts, clamshell, ms 180
Have tried some paint remover suggested but one youtuber...no joy after several hrs.
Tried some gel stripper...nada.
Now what?
1000002847.jpg

Couldn't find anything on search, YouTube was a bust...
Am trying to get the old orange gasket material off the motor parts, clamshell, ms 180
Have tried some paint remover suggested but one youtuber...no joy after several hrs.
Tried some gel stripper...nada.
Now what?
View attachment 1142901
Looks like Dirko - High temp silicone. Just soak it in gasoline for a while to soften it up. May have to get creative to seal it up to keep the gas from evaporating i.e. stick it in a bucket with a lid.

I usually go over any surfaces like that (or cyl heads / blocks on car engines) with a utility knife blade. I just carefully rub it one way then the other until I'm back to bare cast iron or aluminum. Never had a problem using this method. I then clean with lacquer thinner or some other non greasy solvent. I think kerosene would also work.

They work fine, or 1/4 inch with a die grinder. Any scratches will be filled with Dirko, or Hondabond, or whatever.

I've lost count of how many I have done. Almost impossible to screw up or I would have figured out a way.
I buy the 1/8" shaft by the 25ct, 3 different types. 😁

Back