Painting a saw...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alvareri

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I picked up a stihl ms440 with a lean seize and decided to do a hybrid 460 saw for myself. I'd love to get a little crazy with my paint options just because I broke down the entire saw and am replacing the bearings for peace of mind. I've heard about TSC implement paint, powder coat, but have yet to hear anything on cerakote amd was just wondering if I'm missing anybody. I could do either of the aforementioned options since my boss owns a PC shop but am leaning towards cerakote because it'd be pretty unique and durable. Only issue sounds like it would be getting a smooth finish as cerakote is closer to anodization than a gap filler like PC. Any advice appreciated!
Thanks-
Erick

Just curious...what is a 460 hybrid? Is that like the 029/039 upgrade? I have an 044 magnum that eventually is going to need a new piston. Is the 460 hybrid something I might consider?

Just curious...what is a 460 hybrid? Is that like the 029/039 upgrade? I have an 044 magnum that eventually is going to need a new piston. Is the 460 hybrid something I might consider?
Yep the 440/ 460 hybrid is where you take a stihl 440 saw minus the P&C and change it from the 50mm bore of the 440 to a 52mm of the 460. I forgot why it's done instead of a big bore kit haha but I know in order for it to be done w/ an OEM 460 jug, you have to narrow the bolt hole pattern as the 440 crankcase is smaller, in addition to shaving some aluminum off the sides of the transfer in order to clear the flywheel. After assembly, you also have to make some spacers for the muffler to sit farther out away from the saw. I'm working on mine as I write this but went Meteor P&C which I hear has it's challenges.

Yep the 440/ 460 hybrid is where you take a stihl 440 saw minus the P&C and change it from the 50mm bore of the 440 to a 52mm of the 460. I forgot why it's done instead of a big bore kit haha but I know in order for it to be done w/ an OEM 460 jug, you have to narrow the bolt hole pattern as the 440 crankcase is smaller, in addition to shaving some aluminum off the sides of the transfer in order to clear the flywheel. After assembly, you also have to make some spacers for the muffler to sit farther out away from the saw. I'm working on mine as I write this but went Meteor P&C which I hear has it's challenges.

The reason big bore kits aren't a good option is that most of them are made in China. What they do is they take the copy casting of the original bore size saw and bore the cylinder larger, the problem with that being that the transfers are made smaller as the bore is made larger and they don't do any transfer work. Then being only soo thick you are not left with enough material to make the transfers the appropriate size to move the volume needed for the larger bore.

Sorry, just seen this.
Did you finish the 460 Meteor P&C on the 440 project? If so how did it fare?

There's some goofy looking mostly black cerakoted stihl 460 or something hanging at a local saw shop on consignment with a dreamer price tag. Looks like a rice burner.

Latest posts

Back