Painting chainsaw bars?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie294life

Brush Popper and Amateur Tree Butcher
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I was running through my junk pile and found a hidden treasure, a pro 20” narrow mount stihl bar (which I need) because my other 20” got bent. It had zero paint on it so a couple years ago i hit it with some tractor paint just to keep it from rusting, since I didn’t know what it was at the time. Is it okay to roll with a bar with zero paint or do you guys prefer to put at least something on them? Does it matter? Im about to pull it out and roll with it to see if it’s still a viable bar.

Basically just a cosmetic issue unless it's in storage and you don't want it to rust. Once it gets covered in bar oil, rust isn't an issue. What really looks nice to my eye is a blued bar, just like a gun barrel. I've seen some old Husqvarna bars like this. You can hot blue any bar as long as it's all steel and doesn't have aluminum on it.

Run it. Paint serves only two purposes: rust prevention, and advertising via brand logos. Residual oil from normal use addresses the first issue, and unless they're paying you royalties to keep it there, the logo can go.

Back