Pallet Box Ideas For Storing Wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimberMan

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm thinking about building a big wood box that will hold about half a cord of firewood. I'd like to be able to pick it up with my bobcat and pallet forks, and carry it from my wood shed up to the house. I've also got to make it look "nice" so my wife will let it stay near the side door, which is convenient to the stove and the driveway.

I figured I could frame it using treated 2x6's, and use T-111 for the sides. I could even shingle the roof and paint it to match the house ("nice"). Trying to decide how to design it so the wood will stay dry and contained, but still allow me to get to the lowest layers of wood before I refill it.

Anybody ever built something similar? Ideas/pictures greatly appreciated!

Why mess with all that? Just get some pallets, and screw them together. You can usually scrounge them for free. That's how I store my wood - on pallets, with pallets for the ends.

That was my plan. But she wants it to look all nice, says we shouldn't have a big tarp covered thing by the door. I have to make some kind of attempt here at something pretty.

I had the same idea I had been kicking around. Even better, build two or more so they can be swapped out. one seasoning,one in use near house. four pallets screwed together with top sloped for roofing material. I was kind of partial to the vertical milled rough lumber to match the wood shed and have good ventilation(tobacco barn style). Now you got me started, we might need a race to post some pics for everybody else. also on the plus side projects like this go great with a couple beers. :cheers:

I used the pallet my wood stove came on to make a firewood storage area. It's a small pallet, so it can only hold maybe 1/4 a cord, but I used 2x4s for the sides, 2x4s across the top, then some old OSB T1-11 siding for the sides and roof.

It isn't pretty because of the old siding, but it is functional. I use it for the firewood for my shop. It sits in front of the shop, and when I need more firewood, I pick it up with the pallet forks, haul it to the wood storage area, load it up, and haul it back.

Eventually I want to have about 10 of these, each holding 1/3-1/2 a cord. I figure I'll take an empty one out to the woods where I'm cutting, fill it up, and then just leave it there while it is drying....

Here's a picture of another one I made. This was just temporary storage, and it holds about 1.5 cord. Too big to be move with the pallet forks....
http://www.bigelowsite.com/tree_harvest/Clean_Up/FirewoodStorage/smallfirewoodholder.html

Some more ideas:
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-owning-operating/154045-fire-wood-carrier.html
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/projects/157504-cheap-quick-firewood-storage-transport.html

Regards,
-Steve

Last edited:
If you are allergic to poison ivy be careful. It is growing all around that stump close to your storage shed in that first picture.

I like your shed it'll keep the bottom layer of firewood off the ground.

Nosmo

Done that - it rocks.

I built one out of treated 2x4s that I can use with the forks on the bobcat and that is measured to fit in exactly 1/2 my truck bed (48"x48" outside dims). I used 3" decking screws. The box will not hold 1/2 a cord, but it holds enough oak to almost tip my bobcat (743DS, 1500# lift).

I hinged the front so that I can dump the box by tilting the forks, if I plan on that then I use a binder chain to secure it to the forks.

One really nice thing about this box is that 2 of them fit in the pickup - this lets me put them in there and have stuff dumped into the truck which I can then lift out. I can get sand, mulch etc. by just lining the insides of the box with a tarp and having a front loader dump whatever it is directly into the truck.

Fantastic links. I'm gonna go experiment with a quick and dirty pallet box to use in my shop, and refine it for the fancy house model. Got some ideas for improving the wood shed from those links too. Got me excited now, looks like I got a project for today.

another option is to go to a local orchard or farm and see if they have any old apple or squash bins made of wood that they no longer use around here you can get them for $5 or so buy a big lot of those then take 2 and bolt them together side by side and use a couple 2x4s to make posts then cut up a piece of plywood as a roof ive seen this done around here. then move them around with the 3pt forks on a tractor or front end loader.

we use this method as we split wood we built the sides up on them to about 5 feet then just throw the wood into them as we split and let them sit inside one of the empty tobacco sheds over the winter. till the next year when we stack the wood in one of the wood sheds

I just use old scrounged pallets, 2x4's screwed to the sides with 2x4's screwed to those across the top about 4' high. Pretty easy, only takes about 10 minutes to build one, and they don't look too bad. I used my loader w/ forks to move them around and put them right next to the OWB for easy loading. Good luck!

Don't know if someone else suggested this but here goes. Build a small wood shed up by your house that looks nice. Build it in such a way that you can slide boxes in like BlueRidge uses. Then you can just switch out boxes with your skid steer when one is empty. Hope that helps.

I used the pallet my wood stove came on to make a firewood storage area. It's a small pallet, so it can only hold maybe 1/4 a cord, but I used 2x4s for the sides, 2x4s across the top, then some old OSB T1-11 siding for the sides and roof.

It isn't pretty because of the old siding, but it is functional. I use it for the firewood for my shop. It sits in front of the shop, and when I need more firewood, I pick it up with the pallet forks, haul it to the wood storage area, load it up, and haul it back.

Eventually I want to have about 10 of these, each holding 1/3-1/2 a cord. I figure I'll take an empty one out to the woods where I'm cutting, fill it up, and then just leave it there while it is drying....

Here's a picture of another one I made. This was just temporary storage, and it holds about 1.5 cord. Too big to be move with the pallet forks....
http://www.bigelowsite.com/tree_harvest/Clean_Up/FirewoodStorage/smallfirewoodholder.html

Some more ideas:
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-owning-operating/154045-fire-wood-carrier.html
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/projects/157504-cheap-quick-firewood-storage-transport.html

Regards,
-Steve

Was looking through your photos, and I've got to say... Gutters on a wood shed? Nice! :clap:

I'm thinking about building a big wood box that will hold about half a cord of firewood. I'd like to be able to pick it up with my bobcat and pallet forks, and carry it from my wood shed up to the house. I've also got to make it look "nice" so my wife will let it stay near the side door, which is convenient to the stove and the driveway.

I figured I could frame it using treated 2x6's, and use T-111 for the sides. I could even shingle the roof and paint it to match the house ("nice"). Trying to decide how to design it so the wood will stay dry and contained, but still allow me to get to the lowest layers of wood before I refill it.

Anybody ever built something similar? Ideas/pictures greatly appreciated!

Take a look at my pics. I aquired 30 of these plastic pallet boxes for free when a company closed it's doors. They have fold down doors and I plan on drilling 2 inch holes in all of them for more air flow. I added wood tray on splitter so wood falls in box as it is split

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/575806035qBNCrn?start=12

Last edited:
Thats my wood box the boys are playing on, it's about 16x16 by 72"s and will hold 2 days supply. If they are calling for sever cold and or snow/freezing rain I'll over fill and cover with a trap..

attachment.php

Seconds as sitting bench, play table or what ever during the summer...

Last edited:
Was looking through your photos, and I've got to say... Gutters on a wood shed? Nice! :clap:

Ah, if you've ever lived in the Portland area (or on the coast), you'd understand. It rains a *lot* here. Before I put the gutters on, it would rain and water would splash up. Wood as high as 2 ft up was getting wet. Let me tell you - wet wood doesn't burn very well. :)

Back