palm tree removals.......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

budroe69moni

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
anyone have any advise on felling palms???? do the same techniques apply as when felling trees???? any tricks of the trade or advice on what to charge????
thanks,
budroe:cool:

You'll need a sharp chain and a good file. Don't even try to cut a palm with a dull chain.
:rolleyes:

Last edited:
As Brett said, razor sharp chain. The fibers in the palm will rip with a dull chain, and close back around the bar, binding your saw. Keep the revs up on the saw, CUTTING the fibers and you can zip right through it. If the chain speed slows, or if you try to force through a cut, it will bind up and you may not be able to get the saw out. :eek:
Other than that, palms are easy. Like cutting down a telephone pole. I prefer WATCHING someone picking up the pieces that I cut, though. :laugh:

They can be very easy and good money. On cabbage palms with the big fat skins still on sometime cause a bind, if they are long saw them down and then place your cuts. Smooth trunks are a walk in the park. A 35' palm with a 2 man crew, placing a pull rope I'd expect to have it down, out, and completely cleaned up in about 45mins.
Greg

Can you feed a palm tree through a chipper? Tubgrinder? What do you do with it? I hear people talking about chipping the fronds very carefully, but what about the trunk.

Nickrosis

Same as any other garbage wood, I guess. You know, dumpsters behind shopping centers, the 'flat tire on the side of the road, gotta lighten the load' trick, vacant lots, etc......... :D

O.K., just kidding, guys!!! ;)

i did a couple of cabbage palm removals on saturday. they were both 35' and it took me about 90 minutes each. i had them down, chunked up in about 2' pieces (that's all that i could pick up, they're heavy as sh*t) and thrown in the trailer and charged $125 per tree. i also went thru 4 chains. (i guess i'll have to add another hour onto the job next time for sharpening the chains afterwards:angry: pretty good money though.
budroe:cool:

Back