Pamela Anderson

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
However, I'd be in absolute awe if this is what you meant by hummel.

Serious German artillery! I'm actually more familiar with those Hummels from playing "Panzerblitz" as a kid.

If I had one, I certainly wouldn't sell it.

I will be keeping a close eye on your project as I have two 61's and want to do this exact upgrade to one of them. The parts needed, where you get/got them ect will be extremely helpful for me to begin the project.

Good Luck.

Not so, some times the big ones do, depending on the positioning and still look fine.

To each their own...

attachment.php

Once you look at enough of those aftermarket jugs, it's difficult to install them exactly as the arrive from the factory. There's typically enough casting flash and other mismatched "stuff" that anyone with a grinder handy would almost have to put themselves in a straight-jacket NOT to touch it up a bit prior to installation.

That being said, with a clean P&C, it's a good time to get some measurements, clean up some rough edges a bit, then just install the thing and run the saw for a bit. Once you've run a few tanks of fuel through it (some might even say 10 tanks or so), then set aside a nice straight log, get out the camera and record a few cuts so you can time them.

Do the mods you want to do, then head back out to the same log to see what has happened.

Once you look at enough of those aftermarket jugs, it's difficult to install them exactly as the arrive from the factory. There's typically enough casting flash and other mismatched "stuff" that anyone with a grinder handy would almost have to put themselves in a straight-jacket NOT to touch it up a bit prior to installation.

That being said, with a clean P&C, it's a good time to get some measurements, clean up some rough edges a bit, then just install the thing and run the saw for a bit. Once you've run a few tanks of fuel through it (some might even say 10 tanks or so), then set aside a nice straight log, get out the camera and record a few cuts so you can time them.

Do the mods you want to do, then head back out to the same log to see what has happened.

That's pretty much the plan! The seller says it's an OEM P&C, but it'll still get a cleaning before I do the swap.

Whats the update on the conversion of the 61 to a 272? Hope to use your writeup to help do the same thing with a 61 I have.

Thanks,
Brendan

I now have a 268XP cover, and the OEM 272 P&C has arrived. You can mod the 61 cover to accommodate the plug, but I got a bleached and beat up one I am cleaning up. I'm actually going to paint it because it was bleached through the stickers, and you can see the letters with the sticker gone.

Prior to that I had collected the intake parts, and a NOS Tillotson HS260A carb. I got the upgrade to the large air cleaner at Bailey's...it will give me some leeway to play with intake length, but probably not enough to make a difference.

I didn't think the jug I was getting had a decomp, but it does, so I need that and I also have to order an extra circlip for the piston. The jug won't take much work to clean up. Apart from the final pieces, I also need time! Sorry this is going so slowly...things have been pretty hectic work-wise. Toss in an 18 month old who is driving my wife crazy, and my chunks of free time get pretty small.

Latest posts

Back