Partner 5000plus pistons?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trigger Man

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Anyone had any luck trying other styles of 44mm windowed pistons in a 5000plus closed port jug? I know Stihl Crazy used a 246 piston, but I'm looking for other options? There has to be something out there?? that is a direct fit??

I'm getting ready to do one with a new 026 piston on a Husky 51 chassis. I'll let you know what I find out.

Jacob, That would be great if you could do that, I've thought about trying that myself but I hate to buy a piston and then not have it work out, and I don't plan on ever buying a 026 so it would be kind of a waste for me, someone like yourself well thats different you probably work on more saws in a week then I'll see in a lifetime. Keep me posted. Thanks again.

I almost forgot, Jacob I see you said you were trying it on a 51 chassis, can that be done? I know the 50 rancher would take a 5000+ jug, I've read a few posts on other sites that said it was a direct bolt on for the 50R but I've read some that had a Service bulletin that said something about the cases changed on the 50 special and 51 and 55. Could you fill me in on what works and what does'nt?

Had a 50 Husky piston in my 026. 026 piston may be a little short going the other way.

Maybe, I'll find out this weekend. I'm using an early 51 chassis and it looks like both the stroke length and cylinder mounts are a good match to the Partner 5000 cylinder. If I don't make it with the 026 piston then I have a new 346NE piston and ring here I'll try. I also have a 44mm Jonsered single-ring piston that came in a box, it could possibly be from a 510SP.

I'm pretty sure the 5000 cyl will bolt on to 50-51-55. The old white top 50's has smaller crankcase volume. I do not know this personally just gleaned info.

Shep

I almost forgot, Jacob I see you said you were trying it on a 51 chassis, can that be done? I know the 50 rancher would take a 5000+ jug, I've read a few posts on other sites that said it was a direct bolt on for the 50R but I've read some that had a Service bulletin that said something about the cases changed on the 50 special and 51 and 55. Could you fill me in on what works and what does'nt?

Maybe, I'll find out this weekend. I'm using an early 51 chassis and it looks like both the stroke length and cylinder mounts are a good match to the Partner 5000 cylinder. If I don't make it with the 026 piston then I have a new 346NE piston and ring here I'll try. I also have a 44mm Jonsered single-ring piston that came in a box, it could possibly be from a 510SP.

I'm pretty sure the 5000 cyl will bolt on to 50-51-55. The old white top 50's has smaller crankcase volume. I do not know this personally just gleaned info.

Shep

The 5000 P/C will fit on any of the 50/51/55 saws, the problem comes when switching top ends between the mentioned Husqvarna saws. Service Bulletins state there was a change made in the crankcase opening in late 1989, the older model saws had a smaller opening and you could not install the 51/55 top ends without modifications. From personal experience I can say that the change was actually made in either 1986 or 1987, I installed a 51 top end on a 1985 that required modification and on a 1987 that did not. Any way it goes you can make the top end fit with a Dremel and a few minutes work, you can use a 51/55 head gasket as a template to see how far you will need to grind the opening out.

The 5000 P/C will fit on any of the 50/51/55 saws, the problem comes when switching top ends between the mentioned Husqvarna saws. Service Bulletins state there was a change made in the crankcase opening in late 1989, the older model saws had a smaller opening and you could not install the 51/55 top ends without modifications. From personal experience I can say that the change was actually made in either 1986 or 1987, I installed a 51 top end on a 1985 that required modification and on a 1987 that did not. Any way it goes you can make the top end fit with a Dremel and a few minutes work, you can use a 51/55 head gasket as a template to see how far you will need to grind the opening out.

Johnnie, I knew you would come sooner or later. Do you know how jelous i am that you have that little husky of yours??

You probably have seen or read the same SB That I have seen, so when it comes to the 5000 top end on a 50,51 or 55 you don't need to make any changes to the case is that what your saying? The changes are only necessary if using 51 or 55 top ends on the smaller cases?

Is'nt the bolt hole spacing different on the bigger cases?

Last edited:
You probably have seen or read the same SB That I have seen, so when it comes to the 5000 top end on a 50,51 or 55 you don't need to make any changes to the case is that what your saying? The changes are only necessary if using 51 or 55 top ends on the smaller cases?

That is correct

Is'nt the bolt hole spacing different on the bigger cases?

I have heard the same thing but I have never seen a model 50 that had a different bolt spacing. I have personally worked on saws as old as 1983, which I believe may have been the first year of the white top 50 Rancher.

Well, you guys are the 50/51/55 experts. This will be my first dabble in this series. I got two of them from a retired saw shop owner. These are low-hour straight gassed units from 1991. Both have open-transfer cylinders and use the same clutch and drum as the 254. I lucked out on the 490/5000 cylinder, it was in a box of junk headed to the dump. Wigglesworth IDed it for me and I grabbed it quick. I thought there was two more in there but they were just open-port damaged 51 jugs. I also have a junky 346OE cylinder I might try fitting up on one of these.

:D I have had 2 Partners and a Husky sitting on one of the benchs now for 2 weeks while I look for things that could work perhaps better than OEM. Sadly I think I will have to purchase some rings and put them back to together as they were as I have nothing on hand that looked like a good idea.

As spring cleaning continues I keep finding Shinidawas and Echos, but no pistons to stuff into a 500/5000/51 OPC.

My Partner 543 (500/5000 chassis) is OEM with a Husqvarna 55 P/C.

Latest posts

Back