parts saw easy rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale M

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi. My 16 year old Son has taken an interest in something other then his X-box.:clap: . and So Im going to sign him up for a small engine repair type class,, He needs a project so we're kindof thinking the chainsaw route,, Soo What should I be looking for as far as ease of fixing, parts availability,,, ive seen a few parts saws on ebay, alot I think are way to gone,, A box with 100 parts I think would be abit tough,, I'd like him to end up with something he could be proud when done and not just junk that runs.. So any suggestions what I should be shopping for?
Thanks Alot
Dale M

Dale M said:
Hi. My 16 year old Son has taken an interest in something other then his X-box.:clap: . and So Im going to sign him up for a small engine repair type class,, He needs a project so we're kindof thinking the chainsaw route,, Soo What should I be looking for as far as ease of fixing, parts availability,,, ive seen a few parts saws on ebay, alot I think are way to gone,, A box with 100 parts I think would be abit tough,, I'd like him to end up with something he could be proud when done and not just junk that runs.. So any suggestions what I should be shopping for?
Thanks Alot
Dale M

Get a complete saw that basically "works"; have him strip it down, figure out what is worn and build it up as new or better . Stihl 026, 028, 034,036 are great choices as parts and information are readily available.. . Don't buy it on ebay - get one locally... pawn shop, Craigslist, garage sale, dealer trade-in etc.

fishhuntcutwood said:
What Andy said, but I'd add the 044 to the list, as parts are everywhere for them.

I agree with Andy's suggestions. The only reason why I'd disagree with picking an 044 is because most of them are are beat to death. In order to build one good one you would need to find a few part saws.

bcorradi said:
I agree with Andy's suggestions. The only reason why I'd disagree with picking an 044 is because most of them are are beat to death. In order to build one good one you would need to find a few part saws.

If you want one, let me know. They're all over the place out here, used and primed for a rebuild...which isn't that what this thread is about? :)

Jeff

I would recommend a husqvarna 50,51, or 55. The 55 and 55 Ranchers are everywhere and all the same parts can be interchanged on all the models. I have put 3 of them together with minimal effort and dollars.

I think the 3 cube class of saw would be a good place to start, He is going to run it for testing you don't want him dealing with a monster right off the bat. although the bigger the saw the more he could get back for a return once the rebuild is complete. Also don't limit him to just saws, lawn mowers, weed wackers, blowers even go-carts anything with a small engine. just make sure what ever it is will be worth the time invested.

Buck

If you go with Stihl try to get a model for which you can easily obtain aftermarket parts, or used Stihl parts. Having to buy new Sihl parts can drive your cost up considerably.

There is a thread here somewhere at AS that is titled Easiest chainsaws to work on, or something similar. Convertly there's also a thread discussing the hardest saws to work on. Good info in both threads.

Latest posts

Back