Parts saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alderman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Always happy to get a "parts" saw on the cheap and upon arrival it runs great after a couple of tweaks.
2e990dc2fbc83c93dd39741121bca78e.jpg
9849575b2b94f7388cafeef58581345d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those 500s are good saws. I have 2 350s and 1 500

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The last parts saw I bought was a Stihl 046 Mag. It runs perfectly today. Carb needed adjustments beyond the plastic limiters that I removed. Here's what it looked like upon arrival and a non-runner:
Stihl 046 Magnum.JPG
Naturally, I cleaned it all up and repaired the pull cord handle. Then I added an outer bumper spike. It's in service today.

Yes, there sometimes is no end. I finally gave up on doing that. Hanging on to a parts saw dies after the parts saw runs out of parts. Needless to say, it's a tough call.

I think the worst thing you can do is part out a saw that runs OK. I only part out a saw that I cannot get to run again. I leave a running saw alone, and some of mine are 40 years old and still run well.

I had a 500 but ended up giving it away becuase parts were hard to come by and it was a slow cutter for me. Great saw as it cut all day long and lighter and faster than the stihl 08 up down saw l had, but the newer saws were lighter and faster so I gave it to my friends dad for cottage use. I truly wish we had a dealer for those saws becuase they were very well built for thier time and were impeccable, like fine tuned swiss watches. Good luck with your saw

I had a 500 but ended up giving it away because parts were hard to come by and it was a slow cutter for me. Great saw as it cut all day long and lighter and faster than the Stihl 08 up down saw l had, but the newer saws were lighter and faster so I gave it to my friends dad for cottage use. I truly wish we had a dealer for those saws because they were very well built for their time and were impeccable, like fine tuned Swiss watches. Good luck with your saw.
I think OP has a different definition of parts saw that you and I do. For example, I have a Husky 350 parts saw that I cannot seem to fix, so I keep it for parts in case my 353 or other 350 needs a part. So, far, both run like bandits and need no help, but the parts saw is a mystery. One thing that has been recomended here is that you keep notes on what parts have been removed from the parts saw and used elsewhere.

Latest posts

Back