Parts Washing Solution

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandonstc6

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I got a parts washer for Christmas. What’s the best solution to use in it? And preferably cheap. It’s supposed to be for aqueous solutions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought my last 5 gal can of petroleum based fluid from Tractor Supply. They may have something to suit your machine.

I bought my last 5 gal can of petroleum based fluid from Tractor Supply. They may have something to suit your machine.
I usually buy mine through napa pots a great quality solution and it will usually clear out overnight then you can see all the parts you lost

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

My neighbor got a bunch of barrels of dry cleaning solution called stodder? I think they had to stop using it due to being carcinogenic? I dunno but it works really well and will be a long time before he runs out.

Once you get it fired up, you’ll have to do a review.

Anyone try the generic washing soda, or soda ash. It’s sodium carbonate. Not to be confused with it’s mild cousin sodium bicarbonate. Also known as baking soda.

http://www.eastlancschemical.com/products/soda-crystals.html

This article talks about the uses of soda ash as an industrial degreaser.

Arm and hammer washing soda is getting hard to find and is expensive, but I read the pool supply places sell soda ash for cheap. It’s used to balance the ph in the pool.

Pool stores, pottery supply shops and farm stores all sell Soda Ash in 25-50lb bags. Usually less than $15. Never used it in a parts washer, but it's hard to keep suspended in water.

I have a parts washer I bought at Menards, they haven't offered them in quite a while but it is the same generic "20 gallon parts washer" sold in many places and many colors. In reality it only hold around 11 gallons of liquid.

DSCN4573.jpg

The pump says aqueous solution only but I have been using mineral spirits and/or low odor miner spirits all along and am only on the second pump in more than 7 years. I bought a replacement pump from Northern Industrial (formerly known as Northern Tool) and it also said water based only but it works just fine with mineral spirits. In fact their website says solvents are O.K. provided the flash point is above 105 degrees F.

If you are using some acetone to clean out a fuel tank after washing with soap and water, do not dump the acetone in the parts washer as the pump won't like it...

Mark

It’s supposed to be for aqueous solutions.
I had a small, aqueous parts washer many years ago from Northern Tool (similar to their current https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200646596_200646596) that I was using for degreasing bicycle parts. I tried the the solution they sold at the time (about $10 / gallon of concentrate), and was not very impressed with it.

I heard that heated aqueous solutions worked better, so I tried a used, crock-pot type appliance, which worked better, but not great. I did not want a flammable, odorous, or high vapor solvent, as I used this in my house.

Ended up going to citrus based, and then sodium hydroxide based degreasers (e.g. 'Super Clean') which work very well. Be careful spraying these types of degreasers due to splash. I mostly use old toothbrushes, and stainless-steel welding 'scratch' brushes now to clean greasy saw chains and parts in a plastic tub.

Philbert

Thanks everyone, it looks like mineral spirits or similar is best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back