pawn shop find ....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
my local pawn shop has a stihl 170 and a pioneer relic on the floor.
the stihl that is in my shop now was listed at $100 and almost new and came with a case 3 new in box chains and a jug of oil.
the pioneer that is white and looks like it is from the 60's was listed at $200 .
but has a 18'' bar ( the stihl has a 16'')
gotta love pawn shop guys that dont know what they have .

shayne

Yeah my local pawn shop wanted $160.00 for a husky 36. It looked like HE*l the pull starter cord was dangling out of the cover and the plastic was faded and has large cracks in it. I told the guy you can get them new for $199.00 and his replay was if you buy it today I wouldn't charge you sales tax. It atleast gave me a good laugh on the way back to the truck.

On saws the pawn shops around here usually err on the side of overpricing, and very few are willing to negotiate a realistic price. There may be the occassional sleepers, I guess. The pawn shops here do a good business, and basically if you won't accept their best price, the guy behind you line will. In my area they take advantage of the high level of ignorance of a certain minority (hah!) group.

Last edited:
the thing i dont get is why they wont give you a deal on an item that has been there for years??
there is a rusty old jack all there that he wants 50 bucks for and i offer him 30 every time .
it has been there over 15 years cause i remember it when i was 16 and wanted it for my truck.
oh well.
my new saw is running like a top .

shayne

most of the shops around here will deal for CASH... 10-20% off is not unusual. Not my problem what they do with the money...

bassman said:
the thing i dont get is why they wont give you a deal on an item that has been there for years?? there is a rusty old jack all there that he wants 50 bucks for and i offer him 30 every time. it has been there over 15 years cause i remember it when i was 16 and wanted it for my truck.
shayne

Some people take pleasure in denying you something that you want. Kind of like an uncle that has a saw he hasn't used in 10 years, has no intention of using again, isn't attached to, but won't sell the saw to you, even for a very fair price.
Sometimes pawnshops loan out too much money on an item, and they'll burn in h*ll before they'll take a loss selling it. I've been after a Peavy guitar in a pawn shop for a while. The owner knows it's not worth what he's asking, knows there is little demand for Peavy guitars (basses are a different story), yet he won't take a reasonable offer. That guitar will be in his shop 10 years from now; go figure.

Congrats on your saw, the 170, I'm guessing.

There are at least 8 pawn shops within 50 miles of my house. I have had very good luck with saws purchased at four different pawnbrokers. I once bought a Poulan Pro 295 that looked like new. The 295 had a 20 inch bar and could not handle it. I thought about a shorter bar setup but since I already paid $120 for it (with case), I took it back thinking no way would I get anywhere. Lo and behold he was very understanding, and to keep me as a happy customer, he exchanged it for a really nice running Echo 5000 for an extra $30. He explained that quite a few folks come in asking for Poulans so he will have no problem moving it because it looks nice and it's $80 less than a new one at Wal Mart, especially with the case. BTW the Echo handles the 20 bar just great and has some REAL pro features. I still have it. It is the one I loan out to family when they need a saw because it is light and they like the performance.

Latest posts

Back