Peavey or Cant Hook

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eguinn

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys, what is the difference between a peavey & cant hook? Also which would you use if you are trying to roll or move a 3 ft. diameter log laying on the ground?

I use a Logrite 60" peavey to roll logs. The largest logs I've rolled have been 24" diameter and it works fine. The logrite product is very strong. I haven't used a cant hook, but I can see where toe hook on the end would be useful to grip the log and stop the cant hook from slipping. I got the 60" peavey because it was the largest peavey they sold that would accept the universal log stand.

peavey has a spike on the end and is for turning logs

cant hook has a little set of dogs set 90 degrees to the direction of the handle and is for turning cants in a saw mill

a cant is a log that has been squared on two or more sides.

I use both fairly regularly. I will use a cant hook on smaller logs. If it is 16'' or less the point (on a peavey) is in the way, sticks in the ground when you dont want it to.

A peavey is better on the larger logs. The point makes it useful in other ways,like sticking in the ground so it is easier to find. Or Pry bar. If you are going to be working with a lot of bigger logs, dont buy a cheap peavey.

I just recvd a Bangor peavey from Peavy Manufacturing. I really like the Bangor, it is made for lifting and prying- the tip is one piece of metal and is unlikely to fail. It seemed that most of the older peaveys were missing the point and it was true for the cant hooks too. BTW, if you are breaking 21/8 diameter handles on the peavey- you are probably misusing the peavey.

a cant is a log that has been squared on two or more sides.

As in cant roll it. :D

046 brought one of the really nice aluminum handle peavies out on one of my jobs where I was giving him some firewood. It was the cats meow. We rolled a 10-15' long log that was 3+ dbh over with that thing like it was nothing. Really handy little tool.

I have one of these cant hooks and have turned some pretty big logs. Don't know what the peavy will do but this one will turn what you need it too. Never broke a handle in one either and i have put a lot of pressure on it.

3148ec2d.jpg

I use a Logrite 60" peavey to roll logs. The largest logs I've rolled have been 24" diameter and it works fine. The logrite product is very strong. I haven't used a cant hook, but I can see where toe hook on the end would be useful to grip the log and stop the cant hook from slipping. I got the 60" peavey because it was the largest peavey they sold that would accept the universal log stand.

I have the 78" cant hook version of the logrite with the stand and it will role and even stand 36" diameter logs (as long as they aren't too long). That is your ticket if you need to work big wood. Don't get anything smaller.

A little off topic, but related.

If you don't have one already, fetch up a pulp hook. Mighty handy for handling 4' lengths. It's like putting a handle on a stick of wood and saves the back muscles.

I have one of these from Lee Valley, 48" Maple handle.
48u0801s1.jpg

The spike is good for sticking in the frozen ground to pry on hung up trees to slide the bottom out. I think its a little more versatile than a cant hook, maybe not quite as good for turning cants but I don't own a sawmill.
Ian

I have an old peavey that I bought at a roadside sale up in Maine several years back. It was missing a handle which costs me close to thirty dollars to replace but now I have a useful tool at a bargain price. Since I work alone in the woods, I use this item constantly to roll logs on the ground when I am bucking them up. I ran into a 44" Rock maple recently and was able to manuver about a 15 ft. trunk section by myself with this tool. Since the trunk was lying flat on the ground I could not saw all the way through without risking ground contact with my saw. The peavey lets me cut most of the way through and then roll the log to a good position to finish my bucking cut with no risk of ground or rock contact to my saw. Although it is not made to be used as a pry bar, it will serve as one if not abused. I also like the fact that I can just stick it in the ground when done using it and it is always easy to find again when needed or day is done and you are picking up your gear. Never used the cant hook but my initial impression from seeing them is that old Joe Peavey designed a more versatile tool for working out in the woods.

Maplemeister: :cheers:

I have one of these guys and use it for all sorts of things. The pry bar also works pretty good if you get your bar stuck. I sharpened the end up a little more so it can be jammed into thinner cracks to pry. Got it from Sherrill.

how well does that felling lever do pushing trees over? ive always wanted to try one but havent coughed up the money for somthing im not sure will work.

I have used it on smaller trees and it does OK. On larger trees , probably more than a foot or so I use wedges. I like this tool because of it's multiple uses. Probably worth getting if you do not already have a Peavy or cant hook.

Back