Pecans Down - Come and Get Your Heating/Cooking Wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clinchscavalry

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well, here we go again! Give or take 22 large pecan trees were blown down Monday by either straight line winds or, most likely, a tornado (to be determined by further examination). These trees are well over 100 years old, and, as y'all can imagine, it's a big mess to clean up. I've burned pecan wood in both wood stoves and open fireplaces for years, and it makes very good firewood.

Anyone who wants to come to middle Georgia to help themselves to what amounts to probably 50 or more cords of wood is welcome. As soon as I get the insurance agent to inspect the site I'll start cleanup. I have a grapple on my tractor that will be used to pile and burn most everything. It's a shame, but we just don't have much of a market around here for firewood. Fortunately, those of us living in this region have plenty of sources of firewood, but if anyone close by wants this wood before I burn it up, please let me know.

To add insult to injury, a huge pine fell on my shed right on top of my woodsplitter:(

I found 5 more trees, making the total 27. If only I had a railroad spur running up the middle of the orchard:dancing:

We are in middle GA between Macon and Dublin. I have a 42 inch bar/chain combo coming to help in this project and with a monster pine that fell on my shed during the storm. Oh yes, some of the trees would make good lumber, but, as most pecans are, these trees were "trained" at an early age to have three main forks starting about head high, so the boards would be fairly short for most of them.

Is it just me or does the loss of a 100 year old plus tree cause a wee bit of sadness?

I found 5 more trees, making the total 27. If only I had a railroad spur running up the middle of the orchard:dancing:

We are in middle GA between Macon and Dublin. I have a 42 inch bar/chain combo coming to help in this project and with a monster pine that fell on my shed during the storm. Oh yes, some of the trees would make good lumber, but, as most pecans are, these trees were "trained" at an early age to have three main forks starting about head high, so the boards would be fairly short for most of them.

Is it just me or does the loss of a 100 year old plus tree cause a wee bit of sadness?
It is not just you. That is a harsh loss in many ways that cannot be covered by any insurance policy.

Definitely a sad day! A few years ago a storm came through our area and got probably the only pecan in the county I lived in. When they cut it up someone gauged the age from the rings and figured it around 145 years old I seem to remember. Pretty rare for a pecan in that part of Illinois.

Carya illinoinensis

Not native to GA, AFAIK, but the state is no. one in the production of pecan nuts. Our trees are old and consist of older varieties that are susceptible to disease such as scab. We have had maybe four good crops in 15 years with mediocre crops every couple years and a couple "home runs" when the planets aligned just right. However, the old orchard is (make that can be) a beautiful place and in spite of offers to buy it I never want to sell the place. When I bite the dust our children can do that.:(

Some of you snowbirds need to make a "business" trip down this way and then go on to the FL beaches for a few days. Bring saws, chains, trailers or big trucks, I'll throw a pig on the cooker, and we'll find some beds for ya;)

I don't know what pecan wood brings in, say, Minnesota, but you might could pay for your gas money anyway.:crazy:

Carya illinoinensis

Not native to GA, AFAIK, but the state is no. one in the production of pecan nuts. Our trees are old and consist of older varieties that are susceptible to disease such as scab. We have had maybe four good crops in 15 years with mediocre crops every couple years and a couple "home runs" when the planets aligned just right. However, the old orchard is (make that can be) a beautiful place and in spite of offers to buy it I never want to sell the place. When I bite the dust our children can do that.:(

Some of you snowbirds need to make a "business" trip down this way and then go on to the FL beaches for a few days. Bring saws, chains, trailers or big trucks, I'll throw a pig on the cooker, and we'll find some beds for ya;)

I don't know what pecan wood brings in, say, Minnesota, but you might could pay for your gas money anyway.:crazy:

Moving wood from mid Georgia to various areas around the country is a big no no as far as insects and disease is concerned and likely illegal.

Definitely a sad day! A few years ago a storm came through our area and got probably the only pecan in the county I lived in. When they cut it up someone gauged the age from the rings and figured it around 145 years old I seem to remember. Pretty rare for a pecan in that part of Illinois.

I'm not sure counting the rings is the best way to determine the age of a tree.
On my homestead my dad planted a pecan tree in what was a chicken pin at the time. He had to put a cage around it to keep the chickens from pecking the leaves off. I was just a kid and I can remember riding my bike in the chicken pin because there was no grass, just dirt.
We lived in the country so we had no concrete or pavement to ride on. The dirt was the smoothest place we had to ride.
Anyway, about 5 years ago I had to take that pecan tree down for safety reasons.
I had to be 8 or 9 when the tree was planted and when I took it down I was 52.
That mad the tree 42 years old. The trunk was 56" in diamiture and had 70 rings.
Everyone thought the tree was much older then it really was. Many estimated it at 100+ because of it's size.
I took several other trees down over the years on the homestead and I know there age but the rings say there older then they were.
So I'm having doubts on size and ring count to determine tree age.
I'm sure growing conditions make a big difference.

Ring count is an extremely accurate way to measure tree age.

But you've got to know how to read them! Hidden in them is much information including monthly and even weekly rain fall amounts, temperatures, etc.

Latest posts

Back