Peeling bark

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lowrider

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I have a problem with a weeping flowering cherry tree. The bark is peeling on the trunk from where the branches begin to spread out down to almost ground level in several spots. There seems to be a vein where the bark has split. Another split seems to be occuring on the opposite side. The vein is just becoming evident near the top of the split. You can also notice a bulge running up and down where this vein seems to be growing under the bark. Is their any way to stop the bark from peeling back? There is also some spots where sap is oozing, but these spots don't seem to be near the splitting. Where the bark is peeled back, it seems to be dry and dead.
I can provide a picture if that would help. The tree is very large and I would like to try to save it if possible. If not, I would like to remove it and plant another, but I would need to know if it is safe to plant a similar specimin in that location. Any ideas?

Save your pixels lowrider, from your description you have one sick tree.

Have you had and construction in the area within the last 5 years?

It sound as if you have some canker with bactrial infection. Site unseen iI'd say it's a removal and plant a different type of tree.

Hi, I have been in the house for 3 years. I know a new roof was put on the house about 4 to 5 years ago. It sits about 20 to 30 feet from the house. Would you recommend planting another species to prevent this from happening again? Is there a more disease resistant cherry? The tree is quite large and looks fairly old. I could ask a neighbor to see if they remember when it was planted. Thanks for your help!

I was asking because a lot of times construction damaged roots introduce problems to the trunk.

I'm not a fan of Flowering cherries because they are short lived.

For your area I'd go with a flowering native small tree. Say a Fringe tree or Silverbell, check your local nurseries for natives.

Here in WI, most prune/cherry (all genus prunus) last only like 8-12 years. black, choke and Schubertt seem to be the exception.

I usualy recomend that people live witht the tree and prune out the dead branches til they cannot stand to look at it anymore.

Get another cherry if you like it, but expect to go through the same thing.

Here Amur cherry is even worse, it can drop dead withing a few years of instalation. Cool bark though

prumaa02.jpg

This is not teven a good example

cherry tree

I feel your pain Lowrider. I had to cut down a pin cherry last fall because it was heaving the slab in an added on sunroom to my house. I guess the previous owners didnt think about the tree when they added on. It was only 3 feet from the room.
The tree was 25 to 30 feet tall and had a 14 inch diameter trunk at the base. It seemed to be real healthy and had 3 or 4 feet of newer smoother bark on the upper branches. I assume that is fairly recent growth. I still feel bad about cutting it down, but I know it had to go before it got to the slab of the main part of the house.:(

It's possible the split was caused by an Ice storm or frost damage If thats the case I 'd leave it be and see what happens if you like the tree.

Thanks for the help guys. Before the damage became too bad, it was one of the best specimins I have seen in my area so I was pretty proud of it. It is getting worse each year and doesn't flower as much. I don't understand what would cause the vein that seems to be growing under the bark and seemingly causing it(bark) to rupture as is grows. Is this caused from a disease or is this the tree trying to compensate for the dead or damaged bark?

If it is growing slowly then i would guess that it is a small strip of living bark that is growing back over the damaged area. The other choise is that it is a fungal gall that is growing out.

A picture would be helpful.

Latest posts

Back