Peltor worktunes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the older, yellow AOSafety WorkTunes. My biggest complaint is the analog radio tuner is kind of crappy. My station is always fading in and out and getting interference from a much more powerful country station (annoying!) The tuner itself starts going bad after about 100 hours of use, and it gets harder and harder to lock in distant stations. I like them most for monotonous jobs like mowing, weed whipping or backpack blowing. Not good for chipping brush or working with a crew. Also, I can;t turn mine up loud enough to drown out my SXL-AO.

Ive got a pair of Worktunes that I listen to when Im mowing, using the chainsaw, snowblower or using the leafblower.
Listening to music makes the time go by quicker, especially when doing routine yardwork.
Ive had mine for about 4 years and they work great. I dont even think Ive had to change the batteries yet!

I've never used the old ones, but I do have a pair of the digital tuner deals (Worktunes) that are freakin fab-u-lus! I love them on the ground...not the tree. I use them andkeep them turned very low so I can hear them fine and still hear everything else around me...however..got a young guy workin with us that used them and if I ever see them on his head again I'll choke him to the dirt. Like someone previously mentioned, he apparently had them cranked and I found myself throwin twigs and screamin at the top of my lungs to get his attention. So I think it depends on the individual awareness of the wearer. That's my experience and two cents.

I was also thinking...I've had issues getting groundies to use ear protection...I've found they really do take to the worktunes and they do seem to stay in a "higher gear" thru the day AND I've noticed less standing and talking during the slower parts of the clean-up phases (raking...shoveling grindings...blowing) So I'm saying the Worktunes ...WHEN USED RESPONSIBLY...are a very good thing

They certainly help the day go by better, but there is no place for them on a job site when someone is working aloft. Yes the initial muffs dull the loud sounds enough to make it acceptable to standards. But yet at the same time you need to crank your music up to be able to hear it. The way I see it there is overall no gain in the noise reduction. When you have normal ear pieces on you can still hear a climber/bucket man yelling over the drone of the machinery. I truly believe peltors or anything of the sort have no business in the tree industry.

If you want to listen to music do it on your time, not my dime.

I supply forestry helmets (with flip down visors) and peltor pro-com communication headsets for communications. Its all about safety. If the environment is not noisy, were not working hard enough. (Chainsaws, chipper and the backpack blower for cleanup).

I supply forestry helmets (with flip down visors) and peltor pro-com communication headsets for communications. Its all about safety. If the environment is not noisy, were not working hard enough. (Chainsaws, chipper and the backpack blower for cleanup).

Your Mean:mad:

i love mine, been using them for 4 years now, but workers dont want to take them off they love them so much, it has created dangerous situations for me in the past when i needed help and knowone could hear me shouting for it. i dont cut trees everyday for a living but for the ones that do something to consider

I am fond of old saws and taking the muffler baffles out of them, so hearing protection is not "optional" I ran my SXL-AO for about 10 minutes with no hearing protection, and my ears were screaming! That saw reminds you to wear the proper PPE.

Do they come that way or did you modify them to have the communication earpiece/mic and helmet?

I only do stump grinding and if the stump takes more than about 30 minutes, it gets pretty boring. I want to be able to listen to the radio but I still need my hardhat and face screen.

I actually got money for my birthday from my family members today (birthday tomorrow) to get some am/fm earpiece but they all just gave me money cause I didn't know where to find one with the helmet and face screen together.

I find that Im kept more awake while wearing the worktunes, for me while working I find that I tend to space out or my mind wanders at times (doesnt help being an insomniac) the radio helps keep me moving and the brain doesnt disengage.

I worked on a cotton plantation driving harvesters 96 hours a week on average. We were not permitted to have radios in the machines. there were 15 harvesters working. Our individual harvest production was logged each day via a GPS system.
A few of us smuggled stereos in and had them hidden in the machines. On one particular area we noticed that the 3 of us that had radios could only get reception heading in one direction on the field, and that in the direction that we got radio reception we kept a higher speed with less blockages. (between 13 and 22% faster from memory) and on days we had no radio for whatever reason our individual production fell (not that we could tell the bosses that).
I would lend my radio to other haverster drivers and there production would increase while mine fell and I had more accidents and/or nod offs at the wheel.

Was interesting, I wish I had documented the whole thing.

I have a friend that buys radio headphones for his workers on a mussel farm, he reckons that productivity goes up bigtime when they wear the headphones, no stopping for a chat etc.
regarding safety Peltor also make a new type of radio headphone called an Alert which has microphones that analyse ambient noise and cancel it out, they are supposed to register any type of noise that is different, ie someone shouting STOP! etc.
They are called Alert Model #M2RX7A
These might be a good substitute for the standard radio headphones.

I have a friend that buys radio headphones for his workers on a mussel farm, he reckons that productivity goes up bigtime when they wear the headphones, no stopping for a chat etc.
regarding safety Peltor also make a new type of radio headphone called an Alert which has microphones that analyse ambient noise and cancel it out, they are supposed to register any type of noise that is different, ie someone shouting STOP! etc.
They are called Alert Model #M2RX7A
These might be a good substitute for the standard radio headphones.

I notice that they make the strimmer etc quiter when you turn on the music.
They do make a model with the radio and mics on the outside to limit the volume but let you hear outside noise

http://www.best4headsets.co.uk/category/asp/CtgID/3666/af/page.htm

Check the prices lol

The info was in the link i posted

...I supply forestry helmets (with flip down visors) and peltor pro-com communication headsets for communications. Its all about safety....

Where do you get those, and what do they cost? They sound like a great product.

The models I have managed to find (on-line) were very expensive. I would fear that they would be destroyed/lost/stolen before I ever got my money's worth out of them.

"Do they come that way or did you modify them to have the communication earpiece/mic and helmet?" - Gr8scott72

I purchased them that way.

Where do you get those, and what do they cost? They sound like a great product.

The models I have managed to find (on-line) were very expensive. I would fear that they would be destroyed/lost/stolen before I ever got my money's worth out of them.

The Peltor pro-com headsets retail for approx. $400-$500 a set. Yes they are expensive. I found mine on e-bay earlier this year for $100 a set. I bought 4 sets.

I just checked e-bay and right now there are no "pro-com" sets available. Keep checking though.

The only issues that I have had with them is on really hot days where you sweat alot, the moisture in the headsets can cause an open mike (on the VOX -voice activated system). All I do is wipe the inside with a towel and let them air out while we have our break and then they work fine. Also when on voice activated mode, if your chain saw muffler is close to the mic. (when up in a tree) it can activate it

Since all the forestry helmets I had already came with peltor hearing protection, installing the pro-coms was only a matter of quickly removing the hearing "cups" and installing the new one. (same bracket and everything.).

They are a great product. Before I found them on ebay, I was considering buying a couple of headsets (at retail prices), but was concerned that they would not live up to my expectations. They are everything I hoped that they would be. I can be up in a tree with my ms200 screaming and talk to my ground guys with the voice activated mic. (You can also set it on push to talk). It is too bad that the retail price is not less so that alot more companies could purchase these headsets.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back