Pennsylvania GTG MAY 3rd 2014!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok you wood gurus. What would a 30" can't 10' long weigh?

Oak, sitting on rounds, cut from the roots about a year ago.

Yeah,,, we lifted a 34ish inch 9' red oak log with the loader a while back. It was a beast. 3200# sound very reasonable. That's a Lot of wood when split!

I'm devising a makeshift axle rig to get it to where I can load it with the backhoe.

There's no way my trailer will tolerate 3200lbs. So if I can get it out I may just cut a full 16' and use my buddys tadem to haul it down.

When I ask about size I keep hearing bigger, bigger than what? I have never been to one of these shindigs so I still don't know what you mean by bigger, 20", 30" 40"? Don't want to sound too dumb but different people have different ideas about what is big wood.

I have never been to one either, but id be willing to bet if you can bring it, someone can cut it. To me a 20"-30" would be a nice size to race the big saws!

Anything to fully bury a 28 in bar is fine for a ported 064

That size makes the big cc saws come alive

Thanks for setting this up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i have a 10k dump 10' long and a deckover trailer that i could haul logs with.don't know if showerguy has stuff to unload with so the dump might be the best option. i'm looking at a 30"+white oak log i have in the woods,but don't know if my tractor will lift it.i already cut 9-16"rounds from it and quartered them.filled the f150 to overloaded:dizzy:. pretty much availabe anytime to haul.
Steve.

Something like this?
2e4y4ugu.jpg

i have a full size john deere 410 backhoe and plenty of chokers for moving stuff around ahead of time..
also plan to have a mid size trackhoe with thumb here for gtg day..
i got some feelers out for the wood so guys don't have to haul it from an hour or so away.........
i have a 10,000 lb. dump trailer also if someone(s) close has wood but no way to haul..
buddy told me last night he has 3 chunks of oak about 4-5 ft. long and between 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 ft. wide, don't know if it's crotches or straight though....if it's crotches it'd be nice for someone with a chainsaw mill to slab...........i might go check it out today....

Sounds good, I'll forget about bringing any wood. I have a 4' diameter white oak blew down on a hillside but can't think of how to get a hunk to where I could load it. Little by little I'll whittle it down with my 044 and 24" bar or let it rot, there's easier trees to cut. Plus it's cheaper to come in my Subaru.

Latest posts

Back