Penny Pinchers Corner..post your uglies!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
here is the good owb fuel:

attachment.php

here is the ugly stuff:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Ha! I thought this might be fun. Show how frugal you are by burning the uglies in your heater. I'll start. We always see the nice wood, the scores, the braggers..how about that "other stuff"? I'm cheap! I ain't wasting it, even if it won't stack, or refuses to split, or is half rotten, I don't care! My wood and I'm a gonna burn it...! Campfires/bonfires don't count, bonafide keep you warm in the house wood.

Been burning stuff that looks like this since we started that cold snap in september. I like to see how long I can hold out before pulling the pretty split wood from the stacks. Shooting to make it to gobbler day before I have to use the "real" wood.

attachment.php

I hear ya brotha, I use the uglies and the short cut end pieces for the shoulder season, or wheen I am in the house all day and can feed it the ugly stuff. At night or when I am gonna be gone, it gets the nice neatly stacked stuff, but, otherwise, I burn the uglies first!!!! No shame either. KD

The mushrooms were burned up this spring before they havever started before. We've had anomalous weather patterns here so long, (since el nino) probably been fifteen years, now they have become normal. Last year was over the top. Guys were tearing up farmland in late February. That's considered an omen to most. We are looking for normal winter. You and I were in Jr High the last time we had real, sustained snow. We are 500+ mile south of yun' though.

It was just 2 or 3 yrs ago we had record snow amounts here in NEw England

Our uglies are too ugly to take pics of. But, if they'll fit in the stove they go on top of the stacks. Otherwise they go in the fire ring or get handed out to friends and family for whatever use they want put them to.

these are my uglys and you ought to try and split them not a strait grain in it

attachment.php

Anyone notice the seasons moving up a few weeks... I think there is a trend.
Just the opposite I think, more of a return to "normal" - whatever that is. The last few years, fall has been dragging out into December...
We've had anomalous weather patterns here so long, (since el nino) probably been fifteen years, now they have become normal. Last year was over the top.

Last winter was… well weird, no doubt. I will say I was burning wood for heat this fall earlier than I ever remember… and then the temps popped back up around 80 for a few days. Just a week ago it was a record high 79[sup]o[/sup] on Thursday, and 41[sup]o[/sup] on Friday… a 38[sup]o[/sup] 24-hour change. Now it’s not unusual for wildish temperature swings ‘round here this time of year, but that’s just a bit over the top.

I will say the crops went in and came out earlier this year then I ever remember, but at the same time I just saw twin deer fawns still carrying spots last week… I don’t know if I can call anything a “trend”. As far as a return to normal… I don’t even know what “normal” is anymore. The summer of 2009 was the wettest, coldest summer in my lifetime; we never broke-out the hot weather cloths all summer long… I remember standing at the 4th-of-July parade watching my kids shivering in jackets.

Around 20-years-ago the weather patterns started to change from what I remember as “normal” growing up… but again, just what is “normal”? The Dust-Bowl days of the 30’s was “strange”, and in 1816 the whole Northern Hemisphere of the planet was so cold it is called “The Year Without A Summer”… heavy frost actually killed crops in July and August, and the resulting food shortages spurred rioting in England and France.

Really, if you look closely at history, what I think of as “normal” growing up in the 60’s and 70’s… wasn’t “normal”. We were in a “Mini-Ice Age” of sorts, with heavy snows and brutal cold during winters, yet warm(ish) summers… The snow was so deep I remember digging tunnels across the yard I could stand up in, and spent most days of summer at swimming holes. Spring time Tornados were common, and we spent many evenings sitting out the “warnings” in the basement… and heavy thunderstorms came and went all summer long. Just last week my Mother-in-Law commented she doesn’t ever remember winds like we’ve had the last few years; not that they’re so strong, but rather they never end… just never-ending 15 MPH wind day-in and day-out, every day.

So what exactly is a “trend”, or is it really a “new trend”… and what exactly is “normal”, and is there really a “new normal”?

That's why you bought the 460. ;o)

this stuff is one reason that a 460 is sold with a 20" b&c here, they will not pull a 25" properly unless ported
the 660 comes with a 25"

i'm the only one around here running a 25' 28" and they can't work how it beats there 660 i have even been told
i will blow my saw up because it revs to high and is tuned way too lean :big_smile:

Ok, so forgive my ignorance; but What kind of wood is that?

red gum it's a eucalyptus (eucalyptus camaldulensis) it's about 4x harder than oak and we got a tree
we call yellow box (eucalyptus melliodora) don't know exactly how hard it is but some of it you can't
even bang a 3" nail in it

I make a pile of uglies between my stacks and I bring in a couple wheelbarrow loads in at a time. I burn them all year long.
e5uma6uv.jpg

"uglies" to me are really more like shorts under 12". I stacked one wheelbarrow load in top of the rack and I'll just pull out of the wheelbarrow until it is time to fill the other rack.

Latest posts

Back