Penny Pinchers Corner..post your uglies!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 261936
Here's a pic of some of the stuf that I used to leave in the woods because I didn't want to get bugs in the house. That concern is gone, now that I have a OWB. Throw enough good wood in with this stuff & it will all disappear.:blob2:

I cleaned my fireplace this morning. I felt something rather lumpy in the ashes like maybe a very hard knot that didn't burn. It was a dirt dauber nest that was inside a piece I burned. It didn't burn but the wood did. I've been burning some sourwood that's been down about 2 years. It's mostly hollow but I'm surprised how well it burns and the heat it puts out. :msp_smile:

View attachment 261936
Here's a pic of some of the stuf that I used to leave in the woods because I didn't want to get bugs in the house. That concern is gone, now that I have a OWB. Throw enough good wood in with this stuff & it will all disappear.:blob2:

When I get something like that and want to burn it, it goes on top of the wheelbarrow load to the house and is the first piece in and *right* into the stove.

And a year later, here is another batch (one of several I have kicking around). Took the anvil on a stick to some nasty ones that I had let "season" some more after previous attempts at splitting and got this "small enough to fit in the stove and burn" ugly pile. Throwing it on top of this winters stack uphill around the corner there (out of sight in the pic). The other stack right behind it is leftovers from last three winters, all oak and hickory tornado downed wood. That's a consolidation pile, about 1.5 cord of "coldest days" wood.

http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=316246&stc=1&d=1380419504

So post up this year's uglies!

Attachments

• IMG_20130928_185358.jpg
    IMG_20130928_185358.jpg
    325.5 KB · Views: 39
My BIL stacks all his pretty wood, and leaves his uglys aside. Last year he didn't even bother splitting any of the really knotty rounds, had them in a pile. Told me the other day if I want them there mine otherwise he was gonna chuck them in the weeds. Grabbed the trailer and loaded them up. Let my 16 year old nephew and myself wear ourselves out splitting them up, one took three wedges and all my shoulders could give. WOOD IS WOOD but this red stringy oak was whooping my arse. BTW how did you load that pic with the linkbucks junk going on? I had to disable JAVA and now I don't have the photo link on this reply. Oh and I just throw the really really uglies on top of my stacks. Poor kid had been helping me split all the Ash that the damn bug has killed, so todays splitting was a nasty surprise for him.

Not what Zogger had in mind but this is what I did with big Uglies to pinch pennies - I loaded them up for the Town to haul off to the tub grinder. Too much time, energy and wear and tear on our volunteer work force in my opinion ... but to each his own, the tub grinder was down and someone snagged the whole load to try out their new splitter. :msp_smile: Ron

attachment.php

attachment.php

IMG_3507.JPGIMG_3508.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3508.jpg
    IMG_3508.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 10
My BIL stacks all his pretty wood, and leaves his uglys aside. Last year he didn't even bother splitting any of the really knotty rounds, had them in a pile. Told me the other day if I want them there mine otherwise he was gonna chuck them in the weeds. Grabbed the trailer and loaded them up. Let my 16 year old nephew and myself wear ourselves out splitting them up, one took three wedges and all my shoulders could give. WOOD IS WOOD but this red stringy oak was whooping my arse. BTW how did you load that pic with the linkbucks junk going on? I had to disable JAVA and now I don't have the photo link on this reply. Oh and I just throw the really really uglies on top of my stacks. Poor kid had been helping me split all the Ash that the damn bug has killed, so todays splitting was a nasty surprise for him.

ya, splitting that pile yesterday and today was my workout. Well, some of it split..some I decided was "just right" as it sat to throw on top of the regular stack.

man, there was some dang sweeeet smelling oak in there, all curly and knotty. It didn't really split, sorta just sploded chunks off willy nilly....I got the rest of that big round to go, gonna sneak some out and bag it for cooking.

As to the pic, I just hit manage attachments, browse to the pic on my puter, upload, and paste the link URL in after it uploads. I don't use the built in image editor. If the pics come out small enough, I can post them inline just with some simple code, but..inline is limited to 300k, most of mine from this new phone come out much larger, so I just attach them.

Swinging the anvil on a stick makes me want to hurry up and get back to the good rounds and the fiskars at half the weight! It's good for your strength though to do the heavy guy once in awhile. I can't move that maul real fast anymore though..just can't.

Freeking mauls, wood and saws get heavier every year...

Not what Zogger had in mind but this is what I did with big Uglies to pinch pennies - I loaded them up for the Town to haul off to the tub grinder. Too much time, energy and wear and tear on our volunteer work force in my opinion ... but to each his own, the tub grinder was down and someone snagged the whole load to try out their new splitter. :msp_smile: Ron

Those are BIG and ugly! Nice ones!

Whomever snagged them gonna have *some fun* tell ya whut.....

ya, splitting that pile yesterday and today was my workout. Well, some of it split..some I decided was "just right" as it sat to throw on top of the regular stack.

man, there was some dang sweeeet smelling oak in there, all curly and knotty. It didn't really split, sorta just sploded chunks off willy nilly....I got the rest of that big round to go, gonna sneak some out and bag it for cooking.

As to the pic, I just hit manage attachments, browse to the pic on my puter, upload, and paste the link URL in after it uploads. I don't use the built in image editor. If the pics come out small enough, I can post them inline just with some simple code, but..inline is limited to 300k, most of mine from this new phone come out much larger, so I just attach them.

Swinging the anvil on a stick makes me want to hurry up and get back to the good rounds and the fiskars at half the weight! It's good for your strength though to do the heavy guy once in awhile. I can't move that maul real fast anymore though..just can't.

Freeking mauls, wood and saws get heavier every year...

Tell ya what- send that thing here (your flying anvil) for a few hours, and I'll bet you'll get some more production from it. Might say I'd be cheating a bit, lightening it some by removing some surplusage. (I'm serious. Send it and a 6-pack of Canadian beer, or Molson Ale. PM for address.)

About the pix, I've never had any probs, using FireFox and NoScript since around the Flood. Right now, NoScript allows scripts here from 3 of 7 hosts at this "page". "Linkbucks" is not allowed, because it never was. And won't be. If you don't use such measures, shame on you. I only allow sites that play nice and that I need.

The admins need to remove anything sent to users that would cause them to download from Linkbucks or whatever crap-source out there. The problem is still active, folks.

Tell ya what- send that thing here (your flying anvil) for a few hours, and I'll bet you'll get some more production from it. Might say I'd be cheating a bit, lightening it some by removing some surplusage. (I'm serious. Send it and a 6-pack of Canadian beer, or Molson Ale. PM for address.)

About the pix, I've never had any probs, using FireFox and NoScript since around the Flood. Right now, NoScript allows scripts here from 3 of 7 hosts at this "page". "Linkbucks" is not allowed, because it never was. And won't be. If you don't use such measures, shame on you. I only allow sites that play nice and that I need.

The admins need to remove anything sent to users that would cause them to download from Linkbucks or whatever crap-source out there. The problem is still active, folks.

Oh, thanks for the offer but I have a big angle grinder here. I'll dork around with it sometime. Need some new disks first though. I use it mostly to sharpen bush hog blades and other mower blades.

Back