Per me pick your collective brains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alderman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have a Shindaiwa 500 that I picked up for a parts saw quite awhile back. Just for kicks I took it out last night to see if it would run. Compression only about 110. Good spark when hooked to inline tester. New plug. But it won't fire when putting a bit of fuel to the carb.

I don't really have a burning desire to turn this into a runner but thought I'd go here to get some opinions on what the problem is. Compression just to low?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd think you'd hear something even with a low 110# (generally the min when warm)

I'd dose it with good penetrant thru' the plug hole several times over several days.

The rings are a different material than the piston and a source of corrosion over time with no
use & lube.

The rings binding in the ring lands won't help compression, often the upper part of the cyl is worn more due to pressures.

Besides if it were to start (even for a second) by gassing the carb, it might/will cause irreversable damage to piston/cyl.

Doesn't cost anything to try, IMHO

luck,greg

Back