Perfect 1 Saw plan for all situations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use them. Not too interested in what anyone else does or uses. I have enough to last me a lifetime. I can afford new tools and some I do buy new. I like Redmax leafblowers and whackers, bought a new 8550 last year. My trucks…squarebody chevies. I’ve had 3 in the past 10 years. I buy 1 tons, manual trans, prefer carbeurated small blocks. No rot boxes or rusty trucks. Cheap parts, easy to work on. Simple and reliable. Not my daily drivers. Go out 3 days a week. People tell me it can’t work, can’t use a 30 year old truck. Not nostalgia, it works for me. It’s all paid for too. All that said I’d take a new 500i in a second. I don’t discriminate.

The thing I find is that the newer saws dont vibate your hands like the old ones. Not a problem for occasional users but lifetime users with carpal tunnel will appreciate less vibes. This is something not many people dont take into consideration when comparing on You tube for instance. I noticed my olmar 7900 is way smooter than all the older Stihls The Stihl 461 is a vibrating SOB!
I finally upgraded all my saws in the last couple years because of the vibes. I'm probably predisposed to carpal tunnel anyway, but I can no longer run rubber AV saws on a daily basis. At its worst, I was losing feeling in my hands for weeks at a time. I was all set to do surgery, but it's almost completely gone away since I've converted to coil-sprung Stihls.

I still have my old 044s and 066, and do run them on occasion, but I make sure to not rack up too many hours running them. To someone who hasn't experienced carpal tunnel, they probably don't understand the issue with these 0-series Stihls. I'd agree that I don't really perceive the vibration being that bad, but somehow it aggravates my nerve issues.

A 462 is one of the easiest chainsaws I've ever taken apart, and I'm average at working on them compared to a lot of these guys.

The 500i is very similar. I think a lot of people think "ooh, EFI scary!" but it's one of the most simple saws to tear down/reassemble. It's almost like they designed it to be completely serviceable out in the field. If push came to shove, I think you could completely rebuild on the tailgate of a pickup, using only a Leatherman and a torx scwrench.

I use them. Not too interested in what anyone else does or uses. I have enough to last me a lifetime. I can afford new tools and some I do buy new. I like Redmax leafblowers and whackers, bought a new 8550 last year. My trucks…squarebody chevies. I’ve had 3 in the past 10 years. I buy 1 tons, manual trans, prefer carbeurated small blocks. No rot boxes or rusty trucks. Cheap parts, easy to work on. Simple and reliable. Not my daily drivers. Go out 3 days a week. People tell me it can’t work, can’t use a 30 year old truck. Not nostalgia, it works for me. It’s all paid for too. All that said I’d take a new 500i in a second. I don’t discriminate.

You said convince me otherwise and we were talking about old chainsaws vs new..not trucks and what you could or couldn't afford...

I really don't care what other people do, it's their business not mine..we all have an opinion at the end of the day, it's in (my opinion) hard to say that older chainsaws are "better" than new models. But then again..better is a subjective term...

I finally upgraded all my saws in the last couple years because of the vibes. I'm probably predisposed to carpal tunnel anyway, but I can no longer run rubber AV saws on a daily basis. At its worst, I was losing feeling in my hands for weeks at a time. I was all set to do surgery, but it's almost completely gone away since I've converted to coil-sprung Stihls.

I still have my old 044s and 066, and do run them on occasion, but I make sure to not rack up too many hours running them. To someone who hasn't experienced carpal tunnel, they probably don't understand the issue with these 0-series Stihls. I'd agree that I don't really perceive the vibration being that bad, but somehow it aggravates my nerve issues.
I know the vibes are catching up and it’s just a matter of time. I don’t notice it with the saws. I get the tingles in my hands after using my walk behind mowers for 8+ hours a day. Knees wear out climbing in and out of the back of a dock height truck, if your working for a living time moves faster it seems.

You said convince me otherwise and we were talking about old chainsaws vs new..not trucks and what you could or couldn't afford...

I really don't care what other people do, it's their business not mine..we all have an opinion at the end of the day, it's in (my opinion) hard to say that older chainsaws are "better" than new models. But then again..better is a subjective term...
I agree, it’s opinion and better means very little. Preference is a better word I suppose. The sweet spot for me, with saws, trucks, equipment seems to be 80s-90s stuff. I’m in charge of grounds/maintenance equipment where I work, so when a tool/piece of equipment breaks I have to figure it out, I enjoy the trouble shooting. Through 20 years of working on cars, trucks, equipment gas, diesel, air/liquid cooled 2-4stroke most stuff has not gotten easier to work on….I prefer older stuff.

I agree, it’s opinion and better means very little. Preference is a better word I suppose. The sweet spot for me, with saws, trucks, equipment seems to be 80s-90s stuff. I’m in charge of grounds/maintenance equipment where I work, so when a tool/piece of equipment breaks I have to figure it out, I enjoy the trouble shooting. Through 20 years of working on cars, trucks, equipment gas, diesel, air/liquid cooled 2-4stroke most stuff has not gotten easier to work on….I prefer older stuff.
The true test of any machine is will it still work 20,30 even 50 yrs down the road with basic knowledge and simple tools. Saddly, most things made today have no chance of that happening. Plastics just don't hold up to that standard, let alone the rubber parts and electronics.

The true test of any machine is will it still work 20,30 even 50 yrs down the road with basic knowledge and simple tools. Saddly, most things made today have no chance of that happening. Plastics just don't hold up to that standard, let alone the rubber parts and electronics.
Cant argue with that!

You won't find too many people that use a saw for a living that would trade their 572/462/400/500i/661 for a 372/044/046/066 or any of the older models.

These new saws cut faster..smoother..burn less gas..I get the nostalgia, I'm a nostalgic person myself..but I couldn't keep a straight face and say any of those older saws are better than their replacements for real world work.
Of course. You need a low hr saw if your cutting for a living. I have been retired for a while and the older stuff is fine for me cutting firewood and bucking up blowdowns. My 2 go to saws are a 162 se and an 028 WB. But I am not in the clock anymore. If I was still doing it for a living my saw would be no more than 2 years old. I remember going from a 266 to a 272 and the extra production I got the saw payed for itself in a month. I went from the 272 to a 371 and the production gain was not as much but it was still there.

After dropping a few trees yesterday and bucking them into firewood rounds I was thinking this super pro 60 is a very capable saw. Not too heavy for small wood and plenty of grunt for a 24" full skip in hardwoods. Mine has a full wrap so I enjoy falling with it. Also starts right up, it was built by one of the mac legends...
I adjusted the low jet a few hours and ran a gallon threw her after a year and a half of sitting around. Just a simple saw that just works w/ no mtronic/autotune.
Not practical for most folks but all in all it's hard to beat for wood cut at the end of the day.

Enough saw to make me happy.

All you 50cc guys must like working harder than you have to. Kidding kinda i do have a 50cc it cuts quicker tham many small saws i just never use it
20230129_133242.jpg

I find my 550xp to be the one saw I go to every single time. I don't cut huge trees for a living, but do come across an occasional 30" tree. Most of my cutting is under 18" . So I guess that is my 1 saw plan. If I was in 20"+ quite often I think my 1 saw plan would be an 044. Of course, I carry 2 saws . I purposely get the saw pinched so I can get the second saw out. My wife is always with me and that way I can justify having more than one.

I find my 550xp to be the one saw I go to every single time. I don't cut huge trees for a living, but do come across an occasional 30" tree. Most of my cutting is under 18" . So I guess that is my 1 saw plan. If I was in 20"+ quite often I think my 1 saw plan would be an 044. Of course, I carry 2 saws . I purposely get the saw pinched so I can get the second saw out. My wife is always with me and that way I can justify having more than one.
Same scenario here as far as wood size, I have the 261 but now all I grab is the 400. She has plenty of power and speed, not heavy enough to wear me out after a few tanks. It noodles rounds well, does a good job felling and cuts limbs great, hard to beat for my firewood needs.

I processed over four cords of hardwood with the 550XP MkII last year. Plenty capable little saw and is in the back of my truck now.

Of course this episode did result in my buying a 572XP.;)

IMG_0810.jpg

Latest posts

Back