Perfect wood splitting block height?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zero, or negative even...

I prefer to split right on the ground, actually with me being slightly higher than the log. No lifting saves labor with the really big logs.

Tried that, not my thing, have a block about 50cm high but wondering if there are andy better option. I know it it a personall pref thing, but most of my wood is cut circa 30cm long to fit into our small stove/burner.so would need to cut bigger piece to suit! Used only for winter additional heating ( trying to convince wife that a BIG stove linked to heating system would be more ecconimical,)

I took an 18" round of white oak and an old 15" tire cut the block about 10" 25cm tall then wood screwed the tire to the top plop the blocks to be split into the tire and you don't have to chase both halves all the time smaller ones still pop out from time to time but it works for me.

Tried that, not my thing, have a block about 50cm high but wondering if there are any better option. I know it it a personall pref thing, but most of my wood is cut circa 30cm long to fit into our small stove/burner. ...

About the same here, 50-60cm/20-24"....

I am 6' 1", and split with a Fiskars 2400 (mostly).

I'm 6'1" too, and use a 36" 8lb maul. I was splitting on the ground but I have fairly rocky soil so I'd hit a rock and have too regrind all the time. Now I use a 5" thick Oak crotch block so I still don't really lift the big rounds onto it.

I find with a low block I can get some good head speed for the tough ones and if you miss your not near your feet.

I try to split in the woods on the ground, for to leave anything unsplittable before I have invested any more effort. Failing that, and more likely, I will load rounds into my pick-up and split them as they come off. Anything really big would get halved or quartered before getting loaded.I have a plastic trash can with a round inside that is below the height of my knees. The 16" rounds make the height that the maul impacts the wood the same as my fingertips off the ground. The trash can stops the wood from flying away and lets you strike the chunks you create out of the round. It speeds up the process substantially. It accomplishes the same thing that upandcommer is trying.

I tried many ways of handling firewood, The best way I have found is splitting the wood when I cut it, then throwing it in the truck. now all I have to do is unload and stack. This keeps the mess out in the woods.
I just got this load this morning.
attachment.php

I agree with splitting everything i can in the woods. Makes it a whole lot easier that way . And I don't have to mess with the wood once I get it to the pile.

Back