Periodical cicadas

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sylvatica

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
We will have some loud company in the trees soon, since the 17 year cicadas are predicted to be emerging in large numbers.

Somehow a really hot summer day seems even hotter when the cicadas start to crank up the volume.

I saw an article about the infestation in ohio (i think it was ohio.) Projected to be the largest insect infestation on the planet....good grief, glad we don't have them here. They're not small bugs either.

The area of Cincinnati I live in is supposed to have 1.4 million per acre. Since I only live on .5 acres I'll have 700,000 to deal with. I figure if I kill one every second it will only take me a little over 8 days to have my yard cicada free.:D

I like to catch one and tie a thread to the rear leg.

But then, I'm a wildman!
rose.gif

My wife used to have a cat that could jump about four feet straight up into the air and catch cicadas. The cat would then pin the thing down on the lawn, occaisionally trying to take a bite, while the thing would buzz away. Pretty comical to watch the expression on that cat's face. :D

Butch, Catch a thousand and create a new extreme sport. I can see the headlines. "Butch Ballowe's Wild Ride"," Wildman Ballowe Reaches New Heights" etc. etc.:p

Back