personal 3pt chipper decision woods 5000 or 8000

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skindaddy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
wasnt sure which forum and new you guys do alot of stuff like i do at home not professional use.

need help i found 2 different used Woods chippers one is a chip/shredder model 5000 and the other is a chip model 8000
need help on choosing best for my application, i only have a kubota b7800 which might get upgraded to a b3300 someday both models are right at 32-33hp engine.
the 8000 says 25-60 hp, alot bigger heavier unit but would it actually function well on the lower end of hp, suprised these have such a wide hp range.
using mostly cleaning up debris fallen limbs small to large maybe also small scrub trees have 5 acres of woods and want to blow back on ground. realize a shredder would do smaller chunks.
need thoughts.

I've had several chippers over the years, only one was a 3 point model, rated for 5" material...

Unless you are chipping small green brush, they take more power than you think, I ran mine on a 45 pto hp farm tractor. The big problem with small chippers is, you have to de-limb everything going in, because the throat is too small to pass more than that, and I wouldn't even consider one without power infeed.

My conclusion was/is, unless you just want a "toy" to play with, make brush piles for the rabbits, OR rent a REAL chipper as needed.

SR

I've had several chippers over the years, only one was a 3 point model, rated for 5" material...

Unless you are chipping small green brush, they take more power than you think, I ran mine on a 45 pto hp farm tractor. The big problem with small chippers is, you have to de-limb everything going in, because the throat is too small to pass more than that, and I wouldn't even consider one without power infeed.

My conclusion was/is, unless you just want a "toy" to play with, make brush piles for the rabbits, OR rent a REAL chipper as needed.

SR

SR speaks the truth

Rental is how I handle my chipping needs now. Just plain easier, plus chipping without power feed is tedious at best. My 3 pt hitch chipper was sold off in less than 6 months.

Another thing other than pto hp to check into is the weight of the unit. Just because the 3PH will lift and power the chipper, driving around on side hills and uneven ground with the chipper installed can, shall we say, be a bit exiting to downright dangerous, even with loaded tires, front and rear, and the bucket loaded with ballast.

Take Care

thanks guys i think you talked me out of this idea, which is good!
i had previously thought about renting one , i think i will go that route when needs arise .
thanks again for the good input :)

Take a couple limbs along when you go to rent one. Rental units are notorious for poor maintenance and very dull blades so get them to show you it in operation before handing over the cash. Nothing more flustrating than renting a machine and then have it not do the work its supposed to be capable of. Rental co have more excuses ( than a teenager not getting something done) for not giving back your cash when it doesn't work.
That said, I have a 5" chipper shredder by Echo/Bearcat, 20hp, it is slow but it does get the job done and it is there when I need it ( semi pro unit not a box store item) and it really will chew up a dry 5" buckthorn or locust or similar( don't know about Hornbeam ain't got any of that iron wood) yes I have to trim it down if I can't compress the branches to just under 5". I use the shredder part for the raked up stuff,3/4" and under. I also have one of the box store jam-o-matic units, waste of cash, wish I could unload it. Lesson learned.

Latest posts

Back