Stihl MS250

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JA600L

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I recently picked up my first Stihl saw off Facebook marketplace.
I got the saw as part of a package deal. $600 for a log splitter, chipper shredder, and the saw. The saw was listed at $75 but he ended up giving it to me for $50 as part of the package.
Anyway, I'm new to Stihl and want to know your thoughts on the MS250. I've done some research and found that this is considered more of a homeowner saw.
I sharpened the chain and added fresh fuel and it started right up and runs perfect. I cut up a tree with it and it works great.
So a lot of what I'm seeing online is people recommending a pro saw. I have a little under half an acre and cut firewood as more of a hobby but do heat the house with the wood (heat pump main source.)
So I don't need a saw to take care of my land. I want one to use for firewood scrounging. Now I've gotten a good deal on a much better saw than my poulan pro.
I want your opinion on whether I should keep this thing around and make it my "forever saw" or try to trade up for a "pro model". I'm happy with how it feels and performs. I also do have a cheap Amazon 62cc 20" Wemars chain saw I can use for cutting up larger trees which I rarely do. Thanks for your input!

Attachments

• 20211010_195821.jpg
    20211010_195821.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 33
  • 20211010_195834.jpg
    20211010_195834.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 28
  • 20211010_195847.jpg
    20211010_195847.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 26
  • 20211010_195907.jpg
    20211010_195907.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 32
  • 20210828_155333.jpg
    20210828_155333.jpg
    8.2 MB · Views: 33
It's a homeowner saw.....and you sound like a homeowner. From your description it should be a good saw for your use. Mine is a beast to start but cuts well once running. If yours starts ok it should work well for your needs.
I like pro saws but don't make a living with my saws. I also really like my small Echo saws.

Thanks for your response. It starts perfect everytime. The previous owner took really good care of it and was probably professionally tuned.

The 250 is a good lightweight residential saw. It can do almost anything you have mentioned with ease. Lots of people own them. If you don't heat with wood, or manage large tracts of land, then it follows that you don't need a pro saw. However you may find after some time that you are developing a touch of the CAD, hence you may want a stronger saw. I would say go with what you have for now. Time and use will tell you if your equipment needs a boost. Enjoy and wear proper PPE.

the 250 was a good brush saw , that is worth keeping. the 251 is junk . i would call it less than home owner grade.

I would never have bought a 250. A buddy had one that was a pos and he gave it to me. Compression was great, so I took it to a saw mechanic friend of mine. It took him nine months to finally figure out everything that was wrong with it. They worked on it as a learning project in his small engine shop. It even had the wrong carb on it. He did not charge me too much to fix it and got it running perfectly. I started using it as a limber and it worked fine. Suddenly, it developed an air leak a while back. I took it apart a couple of times and figured that either the carb boot, or the impulse had a leak in it. Finally, I ordered both a new impulse line and carb boot. The saw now runs solidly again. I have used it a lot in the wood pile.

You got a great deal on an OK saw. It will serve you well. If you want to step it up at some point, I would highly recommend a 261, or going bigger-a 400. Just use quality gas and oil in it, keep the big stuff blown off the filter etc.

Use only non ethanol gas mix and, if you are going to park the saw awhile, run it dry or drain and run dry. Use good bar oil and keep the chain sharpened. Learn to sharpen if you don't know how. It isn't that hard to learn. A smaller saw with a sharp chain beats a bigger saw with a dull one in more ways than one.

I would never have bought a 250. A buddy had one that was a pos and he gave it to me. Compression was great, so I took it to a saw mechanic friend of mine. It took him nine months to finally figure out everything that was wrong with it. They worked on it as a learning project in his small engine shop. It even had the wrong carb on it. He did not charge me too much to fix it and got it running perfectly. I started using it as a limber and it worked fine. Suddenly, it developed an air leak a while back. I took it apart a couple of times and figured that either the carb boot, or the impulse had a leak in it. Finally, I ordered both a new impulse line and carb boot. The saw now runs solidly again. I have used it a lot in the wood pile.

You got a great deal on an OK saw. It will serve you well. If you want to step it up at some point, I would highly recommend a 261, or going bigger-a 400. Just use quality gas and oil in it, keep the big stuff blown off the filter etc.
Mine fits the POS description. Compression is good. So, what did your saw mechanic figure out over nine months? I really want to like this saw but so far I don't. I'm ready to try another brand for this spot in my fleet,

Mine fits the POS description. Compression is good. So, what did your saw mechanic figure out over nine months? I really want to like this saw but so far I don't. I'm ready to try another brand for this spot in my fleet,
Not sure of everything. All that I remember is the carb for sure. The shop is primarily a Husq shop, but works on all kinds. They would pick this saw up, when they had nothing else to do. They did a good job, but only remember him telling me that he found eight, or nine issues. It was all on the receipt, but I think that is long gone. It has been a year, or so. I would never buy a home-owner saw, without it being a smoking good deal, or I did not have the money for a good saw. They just are not the same quality as a pro saw. I will probably sell this 250, if I find someone that wants it, but for now, it keeps cutting away!

Not sure of everything. All that I remember is the carb for sure. The shop is primarily a Husq shop, but works on all kinds. They would pick this saw up, when they had nothing else to do. They did a good job, but only remember him telling me that he found eight, or nine issues. It was all on the receipt, but I think that is long gone. It has been a year, or so. I would never buy a home-owner saw, without it being a smoking good deal, or I did not have the money for a good saw. They just are not the same quality as a pro saw. I will probably sell this 250, if I find someone that wants it, but for now, it keeps cutting away!
No details on the carb? Thanks....

Depends on how into things you get. I came on here with a 455 rancher thinking it was a fantastic saw. Now I’m a saw snob and I typically have maybe 10 pro saws for my personal use at all times lol. I’ve had maybe 40 pro saws or so over the years.

Mine will start, but won’t stay running. I’ve had it in the shop twice, but it keeps happening. The shop guy was trying to blame my fuel, but my other saw runs great on the same fuel. I’m getting tired of it. Maybe I’ll try another shop or maybe I’ll do it myself. I’ve considered the boot between carburetor and engine. That happened with my 039 a long time ago, and that shop didn’t catch it unail a carburetor rebuild failed to fix it.

My MS250 will start like the 362's most of the time BUT when it's having a bad day, forget it and it's a real PITA. My top trigger Husky is worse and it's been to the shop many times. That 10%-15% starting failure rate gets me looking at a 261.

I do carry the 250 around with a MS362 (20" Sug) and grab it often as it is a good cutter on a lot of the material we run into.

My MS250 will start like the 362's most of the time BUT when it's having a bad day, forget it and it's a real PITA. My top trigger Husky is worse and it's been to the shop many times. That 10%-15% starting failure rate gets me looking at a 261.

I do carry the 250 around with a MS362 (20" Sug) and grab it often as it is a good cutter on a lot of the material we run into.
Hey brother what kind of stuff do you run into when you have to cut?

Latest posts

Back