Pex pipe rupture on owb

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think it's breakdown from hot water. From what I read, all the boiler piping is showing it, even in the basement. Even if the boiler gets over 200, the return line shouldn't see that hot due to heat loss. Or the basement. Sounds like defective product IMO.
That's a great point I don't run my pump 24/7 so the return line would never see the higher temps.

By any chance was it stored outside before install?

We had a roll that was outside for a yr or two. Went to use and it was junk, couldn't even unroll it without it cracking apart.
I know when I received it, I installed it a week later who knows prior to my install.

It came from a large outdoor boiler supply house on the internet that sells tons of stuff for these stoves so hopefully they back their product. I shipped a few different pieces to them yesterday and I will let everyone know what they come up with.

My pumps run 24/7. I also have very little heat draw sometimes so my return temp is likely within a couple of degrees of the feed temp. My wife and son left the owb door open several times and it boiled over so I know the temps were above 200 in the lines.

Last week I noticed that my pex that is the feed to the furnace split and ruptured causing a massive leak so I patched it. This leak happened in the back of my hardy h2 and the pex seemed dry rotted and it actually is crunchy to cut and crimp.

I sprung another leak yesterday and had to patch it again but this time on the return side from the furnace. Unfortunately this second leak is below ground therefore I just unhooked my domestic water return and I am using it as my furnace return. H2 run 4 pipes not 2 pipes, so currently I have 3 that still hold water.

After all of this I noticed that both pex pipes that carry furnace water are in really bad shape but the pipe that carried the domestic feeding the hot water tank is still in good shape.

I run my temp around 170 and keep roughly a 5 degree differential. The pex was installed in the winter of 2013 and didn't have any underground connections. I only burn in the winter months and I am at a loss for words on why this is happening. The entire pex line set is going to need replaced this is for sure just a patch to try to get by.

I also checked the pH of the water and it looks to be about 7.

Does anyone know why this may be happening and what could cause it?

I called the material supply house where it was purchased and they said that they have never heard of it and they want me to send the pipes to them so they can see them. They said it should last for 25 years.
Last week I noticed that my pex that is the feed to the furnace split and ruptured causing a massive leak so I patched it. This leak happened in the back of my hardy h2 and the pex seemed dry rotted and it actually is crunchy to cut and crimp.

I sprung another leak yesterday and had to patch it again but this time on the return side from the furnace. Unfortunately this second leak is below ground therefore I just unhooked my domestic water return and I am using it as my furnace return. H2 run 4 pipes not 2 pipes, so currently I have 3 that still hold water.

After all of this I noticed that both pex pipes that carry furnace water are in really bad shape but the pipe that carried the domestic feeding the hot water tank is still in good shape.

I run my temp around 170 and keep roughly a 5 degree differential. The pex was installed in the winter of 2013 and didn't have any underground connections. I only burn in the winter months and I am at a loss for words on why this is happening. The entire pex line set is going to need replaced this is for sure just a patch to try to get by.

I also checked the pH of the water and it looks to be about 7.

Does anyone know why this may be happening and what could cause it?

I called the material supply house where it was purchased and they said that they have never heard of it and they want me to send the pipes to them so they can see them. They said it should last for 25 years.

That's not going to get any better. Bite the bullet and replace all of it. Check all your brass too for erosion through dezincification.

Heard back from the supplier. They are not sure what happened but they are willing to replace the line set at no charge.

For a temp fix the furnace loop is now on the old domestic loop.

Exactly what kind/brand of piping is this anyway? How is it insulated?

If it is being replaced, I would get it replaced with good stuff - such as Thermopex (insulated with closed cell solid foam). Even if you have to kick in extra $$. If you didn't want to dig a trench this time of year, it could even be laid out on top of the ground for this winter. If it wasn't in a place where it would get driven or plowed over, that is...

Back