Phytopthra Disease of Beech Trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gate Keeper

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
This disease endangers beautiful Beech Trees restricting their vascular flow and what I have noticed, it is usually brought on by root stress and/or root damage what does everyone think?

beech decline

Hi I see your concerened with Beech tree decline.
I have been working with a few beech trees in cincy and it seems agri fos as a preventive works well, but if it has bleeding orange cankers agri fos will prolong life a few years.
So inform customers, it seems around here it takes the copper beech out pretty quick.
The american beech dont seem as bothered and may partial recover from decline with trunk applications of agri fos and pentra bark.
Mycor applications also seem to help with overall health.

beech decline

Also high nitrogen turf or tree fertilizer will speed up process rapidly.
I use phc ecto injectable mycor and 15 15 20 doggett @ 5 # per 100 gal. Use ecto @ rate on package. I think its 2# per 100 gal.
this also contains bio pak.

Subdue

I've used Subdue Max in heavy formulation and it has actually stopped the disease in most cases. When amaleria and other butt rot fungus are present on the tree trunk decline is slowed by the application of subdue.

Fun

Around 8 oz per hundred, and or painted it directly to the canker. Did a typical soil drench throughout the root zone and a truck application with a spray gun. I've also soil injected it to the root zone. Lesco has a product they replaced subdue with I'm going to try, its $300 cheaper. I'll post the name when I get it.

Aliette is another material labeled for Phytopthera. I've heard some testimony to better results than subdue.

Why not, it's incredibly easy, get a cordless 1/4" bit and drill. Easy.

You can foliar spray to but on trees with advanced problems inject.

No need to make mountains out of mole hills. :laugh:

80 foot Trees Rule

Foliage spray work well with foliage fungus and insects. Trunk injections work good if the problem and or sign isn't seen. All methods of application work great if used at the right time in the right consistency.

treeseer, no I did not trim away affected bark. I don't know of anyone or have I seen it done but, not to say that it would not work. If you could cut out all the mycellia stroma it might just work. But if it is truly in the root than drenching of some sort is the way to go.

Back