Pic of self advancing VT hitch that doesn't jam. Can it be improved?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chsonnu

Chsonnu

ArboristSite Lurker
Thanks to everyone's input over the past few days, I've finally got a self advancing VT friction hitch that doesn't jam. It works great even after 20 feet, but the only thing that worries me is that I couldn't find anyone else with this type of setup, so I'm not sure if it's the most efficient. Outside of buying the DMM hitch climber pulley, can this configuration be improved?

KZLcSx1.jpg

pdqdl

pdqdl

Old enough to know better.
. AS Supporting Member.
I would consider tying in with a different knot. Double fisherman's seems to be the norm these days if your using a carabiner.

The Double fisherman's is really just a double-overhand knot, as is the anchor hitch. His looks like an anchor hitch, which is ok in my book. Myself, I prefer the security of the DOK (fisherman's) plus the fact that the tail points back up the line. If I am using anything but a carabiner, I use the anchor or bunt-line. That DOK is nearly impossible to untie unless you slide the 'biner out of the loop.

TreeAce

TreeAce

Addicted to ArboristSite
If I was going to tie a termination knot and leave it tied I would def use a double fish knot. Because I tend to untie the knot when pulling my line through a crotch so as not to get the biner stuck I use an anchor hitch. Both knots are very good. Sometimes I choose one over the other because of where the tail of the ropes ends up. I may prefer it to be parallel to main line or I may like it off to the side like with the anchor hitch.

TreeAce

TreeAce

Addicted to ArboristSite
And to the OP....no offense bro but that looks like a hot mess. I respect your enthusiasm though. Shorten that system up. Get your pulley down to the biner in between the knots of your hitch. Ditch all that other bs between your biner and your Drings. Get a foot ascender.

DR. P. Proteus

DR. P. Proteus

Addicted to ArboristSite
Yes, I often throw in a strap to elongate my system so I can pull myself up and find I can't reach it when I want to come back down.

coolhand850

coolhand850

ArboristSite Lurker
Thanks to everyone's input over the past few days, I've finally got a self advancing VT friction hitch that doesn't jam. It works great even after 20 feet, but the only thing that worries me is that I couldn't find anyone else with this type of setup, so I'm not sure if it's the most efficient. Outside of buying the DMM hitch climber pulley, can this configuration be improved?

KZLcSx1.jpg
Definitely too much going on. That is a very dangerous looking set-up you are using. If you are going to use an add in prusik, you may as well adapt to a Hitch Climber technique with a slaice termination. Check out you tube and watch Taylor Hammels video on the Hitch Climber's guide to the canopy. Getting back to your question on improving your VT, I would suggest adding in a couple extra braids near the bottom of the hitch. I hate to be rude, but that whole thing you have going on there is a recipe for disaster. You are asking for trouble. You need to simplify your method. If you have the money, spend 75 dollars and order yourself 3 Ocean Polyester 10 mm sewn eyed prusiks from WesSpur or Sherrill. Eliminate as many double fisherman knots as possible, especially on your primary climbing line. Using a prusik with double fisherman knots as a lanyard adjuster is common, but I would suggest sewn eyed prusiks for your climbing system. To each his own. Climbing at height is one line of work where a mistake can be awful. There are no do overs up in the tree. I know. I shattered my pelvis and broke my neck and back awhile back, when a catface at the base of a white oak I was in had a hollow spot in it that I overlooked. The tree broke with me strapped in about 25 feet i

coolhand850

coolhand850

ArboristSite Lurker

Definitely too much going on. That is a very dangerous looking set-up you are using. If you are going to use an add in prusik, you may as well adapt to a Hitch Climber technique with a slaice termination. Check out you tube and watch Taylor Hammels video on the Hitch Climber's guide to the canopy. Getting back to your question on improving your VT, I would suggest adding in a couple extra braids near the bottom of the hitch. I hate to be rude, but that whole thing you have going on there is a recipe for disaster. You are asking for trouble. You need to simplify your method. If you have the money, spend 75 dollars and order yourself 3 Ocean Polyester 10 mm sewn eyed prusiks from WesSpur or Sherrill. Eliminate as many double fisherman knots as possible, especially on your primary climbing line. Using a prusik with double fisherman knots as a lanyard adjuster is common, but I would suggest sewn eyed prusiks for your climbing system. To each his own. Climbing at height is one line of work where a mistake can be awful. There are no do overs up in the tree. I know. I shattered my pelvis and broke my neck and back awhile back, when a catface at the base of a white oak I was in had a hollow spot in it that I overlooked. The tree broke with me strapped in about 25 feet in the air and fell on me and crushed me. I have recovered, but I study every step in removals with a microscope these days. I was lucky to live, and for sure lucky to be back in the tree again. Safety before all else.
KZLcSx1.jpg

coolhand850

coolhand850

ArboristSite Lurker
The ladder and whole system makes me nervous to even look at. Be careful man. I would not go up using that set up. You need to rethink your method, or strap on the spikes.

coolhand850

coolhand850

ArboristSite Lurker
Below are a couple Poplars I removed a couple years ago. It does not show much but it is a cool pic. I will try and post a picture of a hitch climber with a properly tied VT tomorrow night. I will not be using it in a Red Oak Removal that I have just about finished, but I will set it up anyway and show you some better and safer solutions in my opinion.

Attachments

• Tree Removal at Will Darks 005.JPG
    Tree Removal at Will Darks 005.JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 23
coolhand850

coolhand850

ArboristSite Lurker
I have many pictures from over the years, and I could dig through them and find an example. Although, simply setting it up in the morning and photographing it will be more detailed.