Picco chain on an MS251

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I run .325" pitch semi-chisel with a 7-tooth sprocket to drive my Stihl MS251C, usually with either a 16"or 18" bar. The saw loves that. That's also what I use and recommend for the Stihl 025 and 026. I thus fear that I have to disagree with Farmer Steve on this one, and we seldom disagree.
My first Stihl,023 came with the 3/8p chain on it. When I got the 250 I just figured it made sense to go with the same size chain since the buy 2 get one free at my dealer worked for me. I do like the .325 on the 026.

Never tried picco on the 026. 023,250 and the 241 are the picco saws.:numberone:
I've got picco on the 261cm vs2 16"x55dl iirc, it does great. Much more power than that and you might as well step up to standard 3/8, but the small chips are nice for cleanup on jobs, just hit the chips with the backpack blower and they disappear.
Get that setup Ryan posted and give it a shot, you might like it, maybe they'll throw one for the o26 in with the new 261 :D. I'd run it on my stock/lightly modded 346's if I didn't have like twenty 325 chains, and they had a good bar that took a standard sized chain and it wasn't :envy:.

Picco cuts really well on my 241. Cutting a narrower slice means you cut faster. But there's not a lot of love for running it on more powerful saws and longer bars. It dulls faster, doesn't clear chips as well, stuff like that.

I would wait for the new narrow kerf chain coming soon stihl. I'm hoping it's the perfect compromise between 325 and picco for 50 cc saws.

Picco cuts really well on my 241. Cutting a narrower slice means you cut faster. But there's not a lot of love for running it on more powerful saws and longer bars. It dulls faster, doesn't clear chips as well, stuff like that.

I would wait for the new narrow kerf chain coming soon stihl. I'm hoping it's the perfect compromise between 325 and picco for 50 cc saws.
Yes, all that. Except I don't find that it dulls much faster when using the stihl picco, great chain.
Looking forward to trying that as well. Just got a loop of the husky x cut chain Friday, may try it this weekend.

Latest posts

Back