pick one saw for one year of firewood cutting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

One saw-all season for firewood. Choose wisely.

• 85cc+ I'm a production guy--don't need no sissy saw.

Votes: 12 5.3%
  • 65-80cc, I can tote a big one--or mo' power! grunt grunt!

Votes: 90 40.0%
  • 50-60cc, Nothing fancy, just makin' chips. what's all the fuss?

Votes: 90 40.0%
  • 50-90cc-ported, can't be simple about anything.

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • 50-90cc-race rig, love the smell of nitro in the morning (but hate banging my hat on the pipe)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wild Thang-yeah, I said it.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Blue Homelite, Antique Iron rules!

Votes: 6 2.7%

• Total voters
I would have to say my ported NE346XP with 16" and 20" bar with all the limbing I do.If there was not alot of limbing than my ported 371XP.
attachment.php
As you can see there are alot of branches and I limb down to the size of my finger and this is a small tree.

For the softwoods of the PNW 60cc is perfect. Anything you couldn't cut with that you wouldn't want to load anyway.

Since you didn't have a 30-40cc or cordless electric category, I voted for the smallest saw you had.LOL
Sheila

oh my!

sorry 'bout that. not that i know for sure, but i'd guess the wild thang to be a 40cc class saw.

and you're north of me. is wood your only heat?

She has turned in for the night so I will answer for her.

Yes wood is our only heat. She only has the 18v cordless and a Poulan Pro 205 of her own and has just started the C.A.D. thing.
Ask her the same question again next year!LOL

I will have to say that I did 85+% of our firewood cutting this year with a ported 401 Makita. We had a BAD ice storm here in Feb and I've been cutting a lot of broken out tops. Mostly under 16" and the little Mak did a superb job.
It will cut a lot more wood in a day than I want to load, unload, split and stack.

Mike

Just one saw...
But, everyone knows that using just ONE saw is impossible. :)

:cheers:
Gregg,
yo, yeah--that's why this is a limited time/limited purpose question. that leaves plenty of space in your collection for other purposes at any given time and of course spares and backups and part saws--oh my.

no need to waste too much time thinking it over.

save that

for the fuel ratio/oil/chain skirmishes. :greenchainsaw:

372XP, 20" Tsumurua Super bar, full chisel, 8-pin rim, hells yeah!!! :bowdown:

Scott

I'd have to say my 7900 . not too heavy to limb with and plenty of power when needed. 20" bar is all that saw will ever see:clap:

One saw does it all big or small. If I had to choose I would pick a saw 85cc or bigger. I cut firewood with a single 066 for a few years no problem. 85cc+ cut right through the big oaks I get into.

Latest posts

Back