Picked up a Echo cs-500P

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lark-o

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I bought it off a guy on CL missing the clutch cover, bar and chain for $80. He said he got it in a lot purchase from The Home Depot. To me it Looks like it was barely ran, not a scratch on it. The top of piston and plug barley had any color on them and best news of all the the piston looked like new through the intake and exhaust port :)
I ordered a clutch cover and some bar nuts from my local echo dealer and bought a 18" pro lite bar and a few loops of LPX from Frawleys saw shop in Wisconsin.
To help cure my boredom while I waited for parts to show up I pulled the carb limiters and took off the muffler and pulled the screen and the weird tube restrictor thingy they had in the muffler.
I burned a tank through it the other day and really like it, has a good feel to it. I like the Simple kill switch and choke lever that also sets the high idle and Its Super smooth too. Everything has a real quality feel and look to it, as good or better then some of the new saws ive picked up lately.
The only thing ive compared it to side by side is a O29, compared to that O29 its lighter, feels more balanced, and seems to have at least the same power. The stihl had a safety chain on it so I cant comment on cut times at all. My friend has a warmed over O26 i'll put it up against this winter we'll see what happens.
I'll post some pics of it later shes perty, ive never had a brand new saw before lol.
All said and done I have $210 into the saw with the 4 loops. I feel like I did pretty good.

Last edited:
I have been wanting one of these... how did it run stock did you have to richen it up alot?

To be honest I don't know where I am on the tune compared to stock, if I had to guess I'm probably a 1/4 turn out from where I pulled the stops on the high but I'm still a little fat on the tune till I'm confident it's broke in. I'm still trying to dial in the low. I can check tomorrow. It's a sweet saw.

They are great little saws. At only 10.5lbs, the power to weight isn't bad at all. Plus you get the echo reliability. It'll start every time.

I run a stock 500 and 510 and love em both as is. VERY dependable IMO. I think you will be very happy with it.

I run a stock 500 and 510 and love em both as is. VERY dependable IMO. I think you will be very happy with it.
I've been trying to figure out what the difference is between the 500, 510, 520, 530? Anybody know? Exchangeable parts?

Without that little tube and tuned right once broke in it will outcut a 029 or 026 , Great buy you got. Steve
The change in throttle response was quite noticeable when I took that little tube out, echo made that so easy it's almost like they wanted you to do it. I already have some tubes cut and fitted to make a sweet little twin port muffler for it, just gotta make it to my buddies shop and fire up the Tig one of these nights.

I bought a CS520 ex rental from Home Depot a couple of years ago along with 5 spare chains for $185.00. I work there and they always put a new chain on a rental when they come back also know the guys in tool rental so was confident about the saw. It came with a 20 inch bar which may be a bit much but it's done everything I've asked of it.
Just bought a CS 440 without bar, chain and clutch cover for $45.00 nearly new! It does need a carb kit but other than that looks pristine.
Regards,

Lee

Just to say I never got the 440 into wood, everythings frozen to heck up here. Anyway flipped it for $200.00. These are really nicely made saws!

The CS500P is a great saw and is not the same as the other "500" series Echos. I have two, one is ported, and I'll be running the ported version for the first time this weekend.

image.jpg
Pipe is a little long still I am going to trim it.

Last edited:
The CS500P is a great saw and is not the same as the other "500" series Echos. I have two, one is ported, and I'll be running the ported version for the first time this weekend.
Let me know how it goes. Porting maybe in the future with mine.

I bought a CS520 ex rental from Home Depot a couple of years ago along with 5 spare chains for $185.00. I work there and they always put a new chain on a rental when they come back also know the guys in tool rental so was confident about the saw. It came with a 20 inch bar which may be a bit much but it's done everything I've asked of it.
Just bought a CS 440 without bar, chain and clutch cover for $45.00 nearly new! It does need a carb kit but other than that looks pristine.
Regards,

Lee
Nice! I have a friend who works at Home Depot, I'm might have to have him keep a look out for me.

Question for somebody that knows more then me. This saw has the cold weather door in the air box that I can open on it. Why would I need put hot air into the intake. I assume the factory didn't want the saw any leaner in cold temps that's why they put it there? I'd rather give the saw more fuel in the cold air and get the power benefit.

When the shutter is in the cold weather position, it allows warm air from the engine to circulate back into the airbox, preventing the carburetor from becoming iced up. A carb with ice buildup in/on it could lead to all sorts of problems.

Latest posts

Back