Picked up a Polaris Ranger today!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We purchased the 800 Sportsman so we could pull a trailer through the woods and to haul the corn to our deer feeders. We have a 1/4 mile long road to the house so by fall we found a Country type plow for the front. I wasn't sure what the 800 could do but last winter I never took out the tractor once. That twin has a lot of power and the snow just flies.

The sad part is, we would load the trailer with wood, the wife would jump on the 800 and pull it out. One thing lead to another and we ended up with a 500 for her. Like she said, If we had two of them, one could pull a trailer and the other could pull the splitter.

:

Iska3: Hijacking the thread a bit here, but how would you compare the 500 to the 800 as far as working capabilities goes? I'm looking to upgrade one of my ATVs to either a 500 (or possibly a 550XP) or the 800. 80% of my needs will be for pulling trailers, plowing and general work. The other 20% will be for play on our trails and such.

Our driveway is about 1,200 feet long and lined with trees so I'd expect to only use the ATV for plowing only on the lighter snowfalls. Anything more than that and I'll use the tractor with a 3PH blower to avoid making snowbanks with the plow.

To put this all another way, what do you do with the 800 that you can't do with the 500 as far as work goes?

Thanks!

My brother has the 800Rzr (same exact engine) and that twin is a beast....its a pure torque monster ...smooth and never sounds strained ....I'm guessing the 500 will do everything an 800 will maybe a little slower on hills...the biggest advantage to the 800 would be running sand dunes, riding in deep snow or high speed running...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

We have the 6x6 Ranger. The 500 will do everything it needs to and then some. It isn't the best at steering, but for load capacity and climbing, I absolutely love it. Dad got it with a full cab and the expanded metal bed sides. It may squat a little when loaded with locust up to the top of the cab, but have done it and climbed straight up (30-45%) in low range with no issues. I carry everything in it, can pull a splitter if need be, and usually relegate the truck to an afterthought when getting wood, unless it is a huge collection.

Shea

for some inexplicable reason, I am filled with envy/jealousy by this little thread. we're talking oozing and bubbling over type of envy here. :dribble:

for some inexplicable reason, I am filled with envy/jealousy by this little thread. we're talking oozing and bubbling over type of envy here. :dribble:

I got an old Mule I'd sell you?

Iska3: Hijacking the thread a bit here, but how would you compare the 500 to the 800 as far as working capabilities goes? I'm looking to upgrade one of my ATVs to either a 500 (or possibly a 550XP) or the 800. 80% of my needs will be for pulling trailers, plowing and general work. The other 20% will be for play on our trails and such.

Our driveway is about 1,200 feet long and lined with trees so I'd expect to only use the ATV for plowing only on the lighter snowfalls. Anything more than that and I'll use the tractor with a 3PH blower to avoid making snowbanks with the plow.

To put this all another way, what do you do with the 800 that you can't do with the 500 as far as work goes?

Thanks!

(yes, I'm quoting myself here) I should have been more specific that I'm looking at a new ATV, not side-by-side. Although the recent comments on the Rangers do have me thinking a bit about them.

(yes, I'm quoting myself here) I should have been more specific that I'm looking at a new ATV, not side-by-side. Although the recent comments on the Rangers do have me thinking a bit about them.

If I had to do it again I would get a Ranger and be done. We pushed old wet snow with it on Saturday and it had on problems, I also have a 400cc Honda with a blade and chains on the tires and don't have any trouble pushing snow either.

ranger

The biggest thing for me was that for the price of a big bore polaris four wheeler, I bought a 2011 Ranger 400. Now I can take the wife, child, and dog if I want to. Just seemed like more bang for my buck as opposed to a standard four wheeler. just something to consider.

Paul, PM sent..

Recommendations please:

I too have a long (1500'+) driveway, and about 13 acres of hardwood I cut firewood on. I currently use a full time 4wd JD x728 for plowing snow and dragging firewood logs to cut, and trailer loads to stack. I don't need to replace the snow plowing, but once I put the mower deck on the tractor I stay out of the woods. I like the idea of a 4-wheeler for narrow trails, and can use one of two trailer/carts behind either a utv or 4wheeler. And of course, if I had one, I'd ride for entertainment. So, school me why/how do I choose between the two, and are used ones ok, or are the too often beat? Best would be to find a friend looking to trade up, but I don't see that happening.

I would say that resale is def. better on side by sides as opposed to four wheelers. One thing you mentioned was being able to fit through small areas. A four wheeler may be better in some instances for that although a mid sized polaris side by side is only inches wider than some of their larger four wheelers. It sure is fun to go for a ride with the wife on a summer evening and look for deer and what not. Being able to carry passengers and having a dump box was my reasoning but everyone has different requirements. I have had several four wheelers over the years and they were handy when there was nothing else available. Now I will never own another.

Recommendations please:

I too have a long (1500'+) driveway, and about 13 acres of hardwood I cut firewood on. I currently use a full time 4wd JD x728 for plowing snow and dragging firewood logs to cut, and trailer loads to stack. I don't need to replace the snow plowing, but once I put the mower deck on the tractor I stay out of the woods. I like the idea of a 4-wheeler for narrow trails, and can use one of two trailer/carts behind either a utv or 4wheeler. And of course, if I had one, I'd ride for entertainment. So, school me why/how do I choose between the two, and are used ones ok, or are the too often beat? Best would be to find a friend looking to trade up, but I don't see that happening.

I also have had several different atvs over the years, and just traded up to a utv this past fall. I can say that I dont think I will go back to an atv. My utv hauls 1/3 of a cord split wood in the bed and has much better pulling power than any atv that I have owned. Also the ability to bring along the wife and children safely is a huge bonus for me.
210565d1323401599-ranger4-jpg

210562d1323401531-ranger1-jpg

Nice ranger! i was gunna buy one of those from my neighbor but he sold it a week before i found out, had the plow with it to.

I also own a 1/4 driveway and haul wood on it alot with my atv. i own a brute force 750 the quad runs strong ive had a few problems (4wd actuator still not fixed, fuel pump which was covered by the dealership) and regret not buying a honda or a more reliable machine. And i also hate the dealership i bought mine from what a bunch of crooks they burned my tires out:angry2: and refused to replace when i told them i brought them in with tread on them. so if your considering buying an atv i wouldnt buy kawasaki but i definitely enjoy the power when it is fully functional and not at the dealership. i can ride the trails and have some fun or i can tow around my 5x10 trailer with wood and not have to worry about getting stuck. thought i would give you some advice if you were considering buying an atv new and try to help someone not make the same mistake i did

has anyone ever thought or heard about putting heavier duty springs on atv's to haul more wood? whenever i tow with a load in the trailer the atv sits pretty low and have been looking for heavier duty set so i can haul more

Female Chesapeake:)

I thought that but if not a male lab was next. Would love one but man the ones I have worked with are hard nosed sons of b1tches. Once you go black it is hard to go back! Labs that is!

I also have had several different atvs over the years, and just traded up to a utv this past fall. I can say that I dont think I will go back to an atv. My utv hauls 1/3 of a cord split wood in the bed and has much better pulling power than any atv that I have owned. Also the ability to bring along the wife and children safely is a huge bonus for me.
210565d1323401599-ranger4-jpg

210562d1323401531-ranger1-jpg

Great looking utv, dog, and property. I envy your collection. Thanks for some advice too.

Back