Picked up a Ryobi 18" 15019 for $75 with Warranty

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Dolmar 421 doesn't believe its only a 40cc saw. Also im not sure you can put the 421 in that group with it having a magnesium case and the rest clam shells

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Been waiting for a feedback from you on how happy you are with your 421! And yeah I know I shouldn't have put it in the line up. It fits more in the line up of Stihl 241, Husqvarna 543 and Dolmar 421. But even the Dolmar 460 doesn't fit(aluminum case) into that line up and there is nothing else from Dolmar in that ccm size.

It was a poulan somehting with approximately 16-18" bar that he has. It didn't last nearly as long as my 18" 025 that is still running like a top and this saw is about the same as a ms250. As I said possibly operator error but I'm still gonna say the stihl will still be running for longer than those green saws.

I agree with what you are saying, and those homeowner grade Stihls that start with a 2 aren't bad saws, until you have to fix one. And it is a saw so stuff is going to wear out and parts do get broke. Then you are at the mercy of the Stihl dealer. My friend had a 0 whatever Stihl that needed a choke lever that got snapped off by the hole in his glove, and an on off switch or something small. It cost him almost as much as a good used saw.

I agree with what you are saying, and those homeowner grade Stihls that start with a 2 aren't bad saws, until you have to fix one. And it is a saw so stuff is going to wear out and parts do get broke. Then you are at the mercy of the Stihl dealer. My friend had a 0 whatever Stihl that needed a choke lever that got snapped off by the hole in his glove, and an on off switch or something small. It cost him almost as much as a good used saw.

Yep, that's it, parts for those things. Took my local stihl dealer over six weeks to get me some circlips. Ta heck with that noise, any and all stihls I get in can go right back out. I can get and get running half a dozen poulans cheap for the cost of one stihl clamshell used. They cut just fine with a MM and a little carb tweaking. Now I don't like cutting with rigid saws, but if it has some antivibe to it, as zillions of poulans do, good to go.

Been waiting for a feedback from you on how happy you are with your 421! And yeah I know I shouldn't have put it in the line up. It fits more in the line up of Stihl 241, Husqvarna 543 and Dolmar 421. But even the Dolmar 460 doesn't fit(aluminum case) into that line up and there is nothing else from Dolmar in that ccm size.

I love my Dolmar i have 6-7 tanks through it now, it really does think its bigger than 40cc.

I love my Dolmar i have 6-7 tanks through it now, it really does think its bigger than 40cc.

I like that model of Dolmar. And Dolmar/Makita in general. It looks like a tough little saw, but its almost as big as most 50cc models.

I got the carb tuned and it already runs better. Still would like to pair it with a smaller bar and rip the cat conveter outta the muffler.....

I got the carb tuned and it already runs better. Still would like to pair it with a smaller bar and rip the cat conveter outta the muffler.....

Maybe could find an aftermarket or other muffler that fits but doesn't have the cat in it and is easier to mod. Guess it just depends, do you have to cut it open and reweld it back up, or just unscrew it apart.

some mufflers are easy, others are meh.

Old Thread, but for goofing around I just modded a $60 ebay Ryobi 46 cc. It had a dirty carb, and heavy carbon caked on the piston crown and top of the cylinder. No scoring or transfer and Cleaned up well

Widened the ports 6mm, I do not mess with timing as much as Chris-PA other than cleaning up the bottom of the ports. Cleand up transfers and impulse. Modded the muffler by removing the CAT material and punched a hole out the bottom. I ran another out the top circumventing the baffle. I screwed a patch over the bottom hole while I test the hole cirmventing the baffle. I will reverse and test the other. Most if not all of the gains were probably from the muffler mod. I think it would be a solid firewood saw. Longevity? as a bare piston and cyl.

It revs free with better throttle response. It does not seem to be as strong as a 4620 AV Poulan Pro I modded, but it starts easier and cuts well. I mostly run old Poulans 3400/3700/4200, Along with my newer Makita 6400 and Ryobi 10532. I gave the 4620 AV away and missed having something lightweight that could pull 18" .325. My old beasts get heavier as I grow older....as a matter of fact, I get heavier as I get older:rolleyes:
Not much of photographer, sorry for the poor pics. I have a video somewhere of it in wood, not sure it is worth the bandwidth....but it cut203_2857.jpg 203_2858.jpg 203_2860.jpg 203_2861.jpg 203_2865.jpg 203_2867.jpg well

My Dolmar 421 doesn't believe its only a 40cc saw. Also im not sure you can put the 421 in that group with it having a magnesium case and the rest clam shells

Funny how some folks lump Stihl 250 into the same category as Dolmar 421 and 40 cc RedMax. Prices are about same, 250 is right up there with rated power. (Some say "DIN" means "deutsche invented number". Case in point: Stihl 250.) The other two make it look like a little puppy dog.

Much of the design of the 250 is simply sub-optimum, putting it politely. How 'bout bar studs into plastic? C'mon.

I got the upgraded model for $99 and it started and ran ok.
But I took it back because the 46cc engine lacked power to cut through bigger stuff.
It may be ok for a limbing saw but for me it was kind of a dog.
The More expensive saws usually have better components.
So if you had a 46cc Ryobi and a 46cc Stihl side by side the Stihl would kick out more power.
There is a reason they are cheaper. But if it works for your needs thats great.
Me I will never buy a homelite or ryobi again. I have just had to many problems with them.
O and I work at a box store and have been selling them for 7 years, I see the returns lol. Kind of a hit and miss thing.

The homelite I had, I got for literally $10 they went clearance and dropped to a penny, so we bumped them up to $10.
Waited 24 hours like we are suppose to, to give customers a chance to buy and there was one left so I got it.
I bucked up one tree and was halfway into felling another and it toasted on me.
Had to keep the family inside while I drove out to my father in laws to get my Stihl to finish the job.
Homelite ended up wrapped around a tree and thrown into my garbage trailer.
I new better than getting either model but you know the price is tempting.
But the old saying "You get what you pay for." I have found is usually true.

Did you run it stock, with stock settings? I would think about any cheap box store saw needs a muffler mod and limiters removed for a realistic better tune that isn't too lean.

I got the upgraded model for $99 and it started and ran ok.
But I took it back because the 46cc engine lacked power to cut through bigger stuff.
It may be ok for a limbing saw but for me it was kind of a dog.
The More expensive saws usually have better components.
So if you had a 46cc Ryobi and a 46cc Stihl side by side the Stihl would kick out more power.
There is a reason they are cheaper. But if it works for your needs thats great.
Me I will never buy a homelite or ryobi again. I have just had to many problems with them.
O and I work at a box store and have been selling them for 7 years, I see the returns lol. Kind of a hit and miss thing.

The homelite I had, I got for literally $10 they went clearance and dropped to a penny, so we bumped them up to $10.
Waited 24 hours like we are suppose to, to give customers a chance to buy and there was one left so I got it.
I bucked up one tree and was halfway into felling another and it toasted on me.
Had to keep the family inside while I drove out to my father in laws to get my Stihl to finish the job.
Homelite ended up wrapped around a tree and thrown into my garbage trailer.
I new better than getting either model but you know the price is tempting.
But the old saying "You get what you pay for." I have found is usually true.
I sure feel sorry for your customers and sure hope I will never buy something from the place you work at. Actually you are a prime example of the box store people who have absolutely no idea what they are talking about. At least you are at the right place and have the chance to actually learn something here if you are willing.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back