Picked up a stihl grab bag but...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terrapro

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Picked up a set of saws for $100 but they need work. A west Germany 028 WB, USA built 029, a 200T, and a 020T.

The Germany 028 runs like a champ but needed the "shock absorbing grommets" replaced which should be in tomorrow.

The 029 I can sometimes get to run with some tweeking of the carb but won't go for long, not sure of the compression yet since the saw will drop while you hold the pull cord but feels good when you plug the spark plug hole with your finger.

The 200T I can get to run sometimes but I feel it has carb issues. I think I just need to replace it with a new carb. Haven't even tried to mess with the 020T yet.

I have had all the carbs off and cleaned them other than the 020T.

Nice score. I couldn' find one of those saws for 100 bucks.
banghead.gif

Check the compression on the 029. If it's good, replace the fuel line and impulse line. Most of the time one of those have cracks. If you don't fix it, it will lean the saw out and seize it up. Good score for sure.

PS Welcome to the site and welcome fellow Michigander. Go Blue!!

Check the compression on the 029. If it's good, replace the fuel line and impulse line. Most of the time one of those have cracks. If you don't fix it, it will lean the saw out and seize it up. Good score for sure.

PS Welcome to the site and welcome fellow Michigander. Go Blue!!

I will pick up a set today when I pick up my "shock absorbers grommets". I will probably just pick up a set for all the saws, no reason to risk leaning them out.

And thanks for the welcome, as you see from my join date I have been around just more of a lurker than anything. Now the colder season starts I will be on more for sure.

We did that this morning and it started right up! But it won't idle? There is no high adjustment but it runs fine revved up.

Okay these are giving me a hard time. Like I said I switched the 200 carb for the carb on the 020 and it started up and ran good but no idle at all so I took the carb apart and the diaphram was TOAST...like ashes. I already had it apart and cleaned before I put it on so I know it was good so it must have fried when I was trying to set the low? Had to scrape it off the carb with a razor blade.

I still can't get the 200T carb to run. Sometimes after a good once over then put back together it will run full out but I can't get it to idle :cry:

Going mad trying to fix these. The lines aren't bad, the gas is fresh, the spark is good, compression is good, piston/cylinder look good.....but I can't even get them to run if not even start half the time:dizzy:

Latest posts

Back