Picked up an MS441c at local dealer PHO ... He priced it on closeout??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laxin213

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Bit of background here. I'm not a pro, but we have an 80 acre family farm and I've been cutting for about 20 years - firewood type stuff. I also own 10 acres that my house is on. I have used several saws before and I currently have a Husky 338XPT (14" or 16") and a Husky 550XP (20" lately). They are both about 4 years old? maybe older. Given that I have a 40cc and a 50cc when it comes to bucking the larger hardwoods, I have a slower time. I put a think kerf b&c woodland pro from baileys on it, that helped some but it would still bog down.... Been considering going larger for a while to have a big saw with say a 25" bar. I was looking at defecting over to the Stihl side and was narrowing things to these saws when I called my preferred dealer:

-391 ($599)
-441c ($969)
-461 ($989)

His basic thoughts were 391 isn't bad as a farm / ranch but both 400s are pro saws and have various better internals, etc. I've always leaned on getting a bit better so it will last and the work will be enjoyable...

So I called another dealer just to get numbers, and his prices were similar but he mentioned "production issues" on the 441c and he could sell it for $929. Rather than go to dealer #1 and beat him up on price, I figured I'd stop by dealer #3 and dealer #4. Short story long, I ended up with a 441c PHO for $627 (but he threw in a 25" yellow sthil B&C when I bought 2 chains that was a surprise , extended the warranty when I bought the canned gas too). I bought the expensive gloves too I've never used anything better than the harbor freight cheap gloves so I figured why not my wife spends money like its going out of style I'm going to get something for myself. I think I got a really good deal.

Might be worth a call around to your local dealer (or another one) to see what they have. I'm in PA, but I don't want 100 guys from AS ringing my dealers phone off the hook lol. I added the receipt to show I'm not a troll

Bit of background here. I'm not a pro, but we have an 80 acre family farm and I've been cutting for about 20 years - firewood type stuff. I also own 10 acres that my house is on. I have used several saws before and I currently have a Husky 338XPT (14" or 16") and a Husky 550XP (20" lately). They are both about 4 years old? maybe older. Given that I have a 40cc and a 50cc when it comes to bucking the larger hardwoods, I have a slower time. I put a think kerf b&c woodland pro from baileys on it, that helped some but it would still bog down.... Been considering going larger for a while to have a big saw with say a 25" bar. I was looking at defecting over to the Stihl side and was narrowing things to these saws when I called my preferred dealer:

-391 ($599)
-441c ($969)
-461 ($989)

His basic thoughts were 391 isn't bad as a farm / ranch but both 400s are pro saws and have various better internals, etc. I've always leaned on getting a bit better so it will last and the work will be enjoyable...

So I called another dealer just to get numbers, and his prices were similar but he mentioned "production issues" on the 441c and he could sell it for $929. Rather than go to dealer #1 and beat him up on price, I figured I'd stop by dealer #3 and dealer #4. Short story long, I ended up with a 441c PHO for $627 (but he threw in a 25" yellow sthil B&C when I bought 2 chains that was a surprise , extended the warranty when I bought the canned gas too). I bought the expensive gloves too I've never used anything better than the harbor freight cheap gloves so I figured why not my wife spends money like its going out of style I'm going to get something for myself. I think I got a really good deal.

Might be worth a call around to your local dealer (or another one) to see what they have. I'm in PA, but I don't want 100 guys from AS ringing my dealers phone off the hook lol. I added the receipt to show I'm not a troll
Anymore there for that price?

Great deal but all pro saws have AFAIK 1 year warranty only. No doubt you will enjoy that saw very much!

Wow, great deal.... Please let us know what you think of her when you get her into the timber!!!!

3538f2427b6d5cd992227b9347b95382.jpg

Only did a little cutting with it in 26" hard maple. Want to give it a break in that isn't running it hard. So far seems like it has plenty of power and cuts very well

Have you noticed if the saw is oiler sufficiently.... I only ask because sometimes people say they are a little inadequate....

Badass saw man you will love her!!!!!

Have you noticed if the saw is oiler sufficiently.... I only ask because sometimes people say they are a little inadequate....

Badass saw man you will love her!!!!!

The dealer started it up and revved it about 10 Seconds and a pretty noticeable but faint line of oil appeared below it on the concrete. So I think it's oiling OK. I turned up the oiler on my 550xp because it seems to want to run with less oil than I'd like...

Great deal but all pro saws have AFAIK 1 year warranty only. No doubt you will enjoy that saw very much!

So I called 1800 Go Stihl and asked for tech support. I asked him 2 questions:

1- warranty. I asked its a pro saw I bought the canned gas do I get 1 year or 2 years. He said its HOW THE SAW is registered. If you are homeowner and its registered non commercial, non income producing use, it will get 2 years after buying oil or canned fuel mix.

2- what's the story on this model, "production issues" what is that????? So the tech said there were some models that were produced and "there was an issue identified, and it only affected a small amount of the 441's and that issue is being remedied and we will soon produce more". So I said is the one on the dealers shelf "defective" is it going to be recalled ??? The one I bought.... The stihl tech support said; if it's in dealer stock it's ok, it was produced before the issue occurred.... So I said do you have a serial number range with the issue and he assured me that mine is Ok and that if it's on the dealer shelf it was not part of the recall / issue...

We'll see. Now I am more concerned about what the F&&/@ is up with this model. Hope it's not a lemon.

Ya you should have the 2-year warranty unless you work for a tree service.....I know I got a 2-year when I got my ms461

So I called 1800 Go Stihl and asked for tech support. I asked him 2 questions:

1- warranty. I asked its a pro saw I bought the canned gas do I get 1 year or 2 years. He said its HOW THE SAW is registered. If you are homeowner and its registered non commercial, non income producing use, it will get 2 years after buying oil or canned fuel mix.

2- what's the story on this model, "production issues" what is that????? So the tech said there were some models that were produced and "there was an issue identified, and it only affected a small amount of the 441's and that issue is being remedied and we will soon produce more". So I said is the one on the dealers shelf "defective" is it going to be recalled ??? The one I bought.... The stihl tech support said; if it's in dealer stock it's ok, it was produced before the issue occurred.... So I said do you have a serial number range with the issue and he assured me that mine is Ok and that if it's on the dealer shelf it was not part of the recall / issue...

We'll see. Now I am more concerned about what the F&&/@ is up with this model. Hope it's not a lemon.

Just checked and all pro saws have 1 year home owner warranty only Commercial or Professional is 90 days . All saws used for rental applications have 30 days . Now it maybe different in Canada, ad the rest of the EU but I doubt it. You still got a cracking deal on the saw!

You will love that saw. The 441cm is by far my favourite saw out of the fleet at work. Great deal too!

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

You will love that saw. The 441cm is by far my favourite saw out of the fleet at work. Great deal too!

As a pro, I'm sure you run the piss out of your saws. In the manual it says like first few tanks take it easy on break in - do you do that, is it important? Like only go half depressed on the trigger and don't buck big stuff??

We have 2 of them. Ran them hard right from the get go. Haven't had any problems with them at all. And they have lots of hours on them now. I bought a 201tc a couple months ago. Broke it in the same way and that saw runs very strong and fires up first pull everytime.

As a pro, I'm sure you run the piss out of your saws. In the manual it says like first few tanks take it easy on break in - do you do that, is it important? Like only go half depressed on the trigger and don't buck big stuff??
They actually say to run the saw wide open.... 2-strokes are meant to run wide open....

Back