Picked up an older toy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hunter

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hello, Just picked up this older saw today. Its a David Bradley Slime line 5G21. I dont know much about it as for value or anything like that. It was made in 1957. It runs but the factory spec mix is RICH.
This saw fired right up on the 3rd pull. Not bad for an older saw. Looks to be in decent shape. Still has the original spark plug.

If you guys have any insight on this old saw, Id love to hear it. I am going to check mike's site.

Hunter

Here is the smoke out. This was the fuel from the original owner, he mixed it up while i was there. Its 3/4 pint of 30wt to 1 gallon of fuel.
SMOKEY!
Hunter

Sorry the video is poor, i dont have a great camera and no sound

Hi Hunter:

Nice looking David Bradley. Can you give us some numbers form the saw. I don't see the 5 G 21 listed on Mikes site. I run my old saws on Mobil MX2T at 32/1 mix. My old Disston smokes a bit still, but have it set a bit rich, the other saws smoke a lot less on that mixture and seem to run well on it. The only thing I might change is going to a bit higher octane for the gas, other than using straight regular from the pump (87 octane), to see if there is any improvement in the way they run. Lewis.

To Hunter:

Hey she looks just like the 917.60020 listed under Craftsman, on Mikes site. Still would use the Mobil syn. MX2T at 32/1 mix on that saw. I think you would like it. Lewis.

Hunter, Neat old saw. David Bradleys as sold by Sears were VERY popular. When ever someone says " I have an old saw you might like to see/own/have or take off my hands" It's almost always a David Bradley. They are not very rare. What is rare is that yours runs!

Hi Paul.

Hi Paul. Ha at least the old Crapsman still runs. I find that with a little TLC most saws can be made to run. You just need a little percerverance and patience. Lewis.

Thanks for the replies. I like it, I figured it was not worth much, but it looks and runs good.
The original chain is actually still sharp. Hope to play with it some more tomorrow.
Thanks
Hunter

The first David Bradley I got, I though I would sell for a HUGE PROFIT, boy was I wrong. I have some oldies I'm gonna leave at Lewis Branders house, he has more patience than anyone I know.

I have a theory on why these old saws will run with a little tinkering. I think they ran when put away. The owner kept their old saw as a "back-up" in case their newer lighter saw broke (which it didn't) the old saw just sat un-used for 20-40 years and now needs a little t.l.c.

there is not alot of old saws left up here , most are grabbed -up
what i want myself is a 2 man saw just to keep , i donot sell my oldsaws

Patience?

Hi Paul. You haven't been around when I've been pulling out my hair trying to figure out a problem and swearing up a blue streak. Guess I'm just plain stubburn when it come to finding a solution to a problem. I naws at me till I get it resolved. No wonder I have high blood pressure and a stent, Ha. The old saws weren't that complicated, but never worked on many of them growing up. Saw some of them around, but never gave them much interest. Everything is a learning experiance. Don't have much interest in the newer saws. Never cared to modify or build a hot saw. Some of the newer electronic crap never impressed me. Give me something with a set of points and I'm happy.

Ehp. I too would love to find some 2 man saws. I know they're must be a few around, but haven't scared any up as yet. You ask certain people about them and the $$ signs start flashing and people think there's big money to be made. I asked a fellow if he knew of any and he said yes. He ended up getting it for nothing and is keeping it for himself. He knows notheing about saws and he thinks he'll sell it for big bucks. I don't think its even complete. OH well, go figure. I have some leads on some saws an 80 plus year old man may have had in the past. But don't know him. So my brother, who has talked with him, is going to check it out for me. Hopefully he still has or knows where they might be. I started out with the Disston saws and would like to get more of them but usually try to get saws made prior to the 60's. Rattled on enough. Everyone take care. Lewis.

<i><b>and people think there's big money to be made.</b></i>

(Laffs out loud)

When I was a lot younger, My stepdad got a phone call, someone wanting an idea on the value of an old "traction engine".

Some guy had just bought an old farmstead; back in the woods there had been an old small sawmill set up; probably had been powered by an IHC farmall F-30, and when the dang thing threw a rod they just drug it farther back in the brush.

Anyway the new owner pays a towing company over $300 to drag the thing back up near the house, based on hearsay evidence of some old steam traction engines bringing $10,000, 12,000, maybe even more at auction.

When my stepdad tried to politely tell the guy he'd be extremely lucky to get his $300 back by selling it for parts the guy got mad and chased us off the place.

You can drive by that place now, see the tractor hooked to an old trailer filled with flowers out by the driveway. He painted it blue.

To eyolf:

Had an old friend wo had an old F-30. Couldn't start it with the hand crank, but if towed or parked to coast down a hill would start just fine. Would only have to roll about 10' and she would start. I suspect the old magneto needed to have a rebuild or be converted to say a 6 volt coil and a hot shot battery. The last I see that tractor, it was parked in his barn with hay and all sorts of junk around it. He's since died and don't know if the tractor is still there. Will have to contact his sons and get the story of where it is. My brother says he going to take me and show me where this old 10-20 McCormick Deering is, an old fellow has. It's all original, on Steel except for front rubber and runs, but has been parked for the last few years. Don't know if I really want to see it, for I'd be temped to offer to buy it, which would really make my wife happy. Like the old tractors about as much as the old chainsaws. ( Had to get that in here, since this is a chainsaw forum) Well, talk to all later. Take care. Lewis.

Db 5g21

Hunter,
I have the exact same model that my Dad gave me three weeks ago, it has not been run for 30 years. In the process of checking it out. Any chance of getting a photo copy of the manual? Thanks for any info

Tim

763 572 6186

Back