Picked up new Rapid Fire today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cat10ken

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
My new DR Rapid Fire finally came in today after ordering it 3 weeks ago from the local (25 miles away) dealer. It was all assembled and setting in their yard ready to go. After making final payments we pulled it on my trailer and I looked it over. I noticed the drive belt was twisted and laying in the groove on the flywheel sideways. It looked like the pulleys were not in perfect alignment. After removing the guard over the flywheels you could straighten the belt but it would roll over again when you turned the wheels. The dealer's mechanic got his tools and tried to align the motor pulley by loosening the motor mounts and got it closer than it was but the belt would still not run true. The owner of the shop then came out and said to put a new belt on it (a much heavier belt than the original) and then it would stay in its groove. So I head home.

At home I have 4 blocks of firewood sitting by the garage that need splitting. Two were white pine that it handled with ease, a small elm it split with some stringers holding it together and a large ash that took two hits the halve it and then the rest of the pieces were no problem. Except for the fact that it would not retract all the way or even half way. I would have to push it back by hand and the flimsy springs were attached but too weak to pull it back.

I had told my Amish neighbor I was getting this splitter so when he heard the engine running he came over to see what was up. He said he had some elm I could practice on so I hauled it down the road to his place and backed it up to his wood pile (it was still on the trailer). He handed over a couple 6" elm pieces and it popped them good. Then he handed a piece of elm that they had ripped with the chainsaw, it was 6"x6" square and it took three hits to split it. A few more 6-8 " elm rounds would often split with one hit but sometimes would ride up on the wedge and come flying back at you. A 12" long 12" diameter ash crotch with a knot in it got jambed on the wedge after 6 hits and it took a 12# sledge to drive it back off. I didn't try it again for fear of breaking something. All this time the ram would not fully return unless I manually helped it. Thankfully it ran out of gas at this time, the setup man must have only put in a quart.

There are only two grease zerks on this machine and one of them was laying on the bed of the trailer for some reason.

All in all I wasn't very impressed with this $2100 machine. (Its the pro model, not the XL Pro). It seems very light duty almost to the point of being flimsy. It has a no-name engine, DR brand I guess, the dealer didn't even know. I'll try it out this summer, although I much prefer to cut in the winter, and give it a good 6 month test. My shoulders have given out from hand splitting for 40 years and I thought this machine would keep me going for a few more. I have my doubts.

Sorry for the long rant.

Ken

Ken,

Thank you for the honest report. It was frank and concise. It doesn't sound good though. At least you have a good warranty to fall back on.

Tom

Did you read the DR thread before you ordered it ???

Personally, I could not buy one of these after reading that thread. But that's just me...

Like Dirtboy said...If your not happy with it you should take it back ASAP.I think you've listed enough issues with it already to warrant a refund....
If you do decide to keep it, I think that most people that own them do a bunch of modifications to them to make them hold up and function better....If you do a search I think you'll find a lot of helpful mods for it...
It sounds like it could be one of them purchases that you'll regret for years to come, if you decide to keep it..JMHO
Good Luck

My new DR Rapid Fire finally came in today after ordering it 3 weeks ago from the local (25 miles away) dealer. It was all assembled and setting in their yard ready to go. After making final payments we pulled it on my trailer and I looked it over. I noticed the drive belt was twisted and laying in the groove on the flywheel sideways. It looked like the pulleys were not in perfect alignment. After removing the guard over the flywheels you could straighten the belt but it would roll over again when you turned the wheels. The dealer's mechanic got his tools and tried to align the motor pulley by loosening the motor mounts and got it closer than it was but the belt would still not run true. The owner of the shop then came out and said to put a new belt on it (a much heavier belt than the original) and then it would stay in its groove. So I head home.

At home I have 4 blocks of firewood sitting by the garage that need splitting. Two were white pine that it handled with ease, a small elm it split with some stringers holding it together and a large ash that took two hits the halve it and then the rest of the pieces were no problem. Except for the fact that it would not retract all the way or even half way. I would have to push it back by hand and the flimsy springs were attached but too weak to pull it back.

I had told my Amish neighbor I was getting this splitter so when he heard the engine running he came over to see what was up. He said he had some elm I could practice on so I hauled it down the road to his place and backed it up to his wood pile (it was still on the trailer). He handed over a couple 6" elm pieces and it popped them good. Then he handed a piece of elm that they had ripped with the chainsaw, it was 6"x6" square and it took three hits to split it. A few more 6-8 " elm rounds would often split with one hit but sometimes would ride up on the wedge and come flying back at you. A 12" long 12" diameter ash crotch with a knot in it got jambed on the wedge after 6 hits and it took a 12# sledge to drive it back off. I didn't try it again for fear of breaking something. All this time the ram would not fully return unless I manually helped it. Thankfully it ran out of gas at this time, the setup man must have only put in a quart.

There are only two grease zerks on this machine and one of them was laying on the bed of the trailer for some reason.

All in all I wasn't very impressed with this $2100 machine. (Its the pro model, not the XL Pro). It seems very light duty almost to the point of being flimsy. It has a no-name engine, DR brand I guess, the dealer didn't even know. I'll try it out this summer, although I much prefer to cut in the winter, and give it a good 6 month test. My shoulders have given out from hand splitting for 40 years and I thought this machine would keep me going for a few more. I have my doubts.

Sorry for the long rant.

Ken

I would take it back. I just got a Ariens 27 ton and I cant believe the power of the splitter. I don't even run it at full throttle. The first thing I split with it was a 22" by 12 inch dia. crotch piece of black cherry and it went through it with out a problem. I only spit about 1/2 cord so far so I cant say how durable machine is but powerful it is. Good luck

IMO you would have been better spending just a little bit more to buy the original super split instead of the DR clone.

Except for the fact that it would not retract all the way or even half way. I would have to push it back by hand and the flimsy springs were attached but too weak to pull it back.

I have one and I would not trade in for a hydraulic splitter. I too had this same problem, until I checked the little roller bearing that the ram rolls on to return. The bearing was too snug a fit in the holder and would not turn, I modified the holder just a bit and it works fine. We have split 25 cords or more of wood and it works better all the time.We did have to tighten the belts some as they would slip before the motor would even begin to even put forth much effort to split the wood. Ours has a Subaru Robin motor and we had to have the coil replaced however, this was taken care of by the warranty. My grandson runs it most of the time and when he has to hit a piece more than two times it is a tough piece.

Back