Pickup filter/sock

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firmwood

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
16gpm. 2 stage.

Atf fluid.

Accidently burned a hole trying to burn crud a 8x4/12 stainless filter with a 1.5" pipe fitting.... 1/2" hole or so.

I guess is a pickup sock needed? With a open cleaned tank, sterile system, is an in line spin on filter enough? I guess I could try and goober and booger the hole, worse case scenario.

It is a huge filter, even if I use it with the patched spot.

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro

16gpm. 2 stage.

Atf fluid.

Accidently burned a hole trying to burn crud a 8x4/12 stainless filter with a 1.5" pipe fitting.... 1/2" hole or so.

I guess is a pickup sock needed? With a open cleaned tank, sterile system, is an in line spin on filter enough? I guess I could try and goober and booger the hole, worse case scenario.

It is a huge filter, even if I use it with the patched spot.

is this in english??

think you need to explain a little better...

Smart phone. 12hrs I'll be at a Computer.

English enough for me

It is hydraulese.

He burned a hole in the stainless steel screen that which goes into the hydraulic tank.

Sure, plug the hole up with window screen, sew it on with wire. whatever ya do, don't let it come loose...

What I have been doing is to use a hunk of pipe and a drill press with 1/16 bit. Hundreds of little holes.

Tank Strainers

Stauff_Accessories_Suction_Strainers.jpg

smoked a small hole in a pickup sock like that...
stainless, fine screen, and has a spring loaded bypass on the end.

dad had 8 or 9 in a box. so i picked a medium looking one for my splitter project. looked about what i needed. 1.5" pipe, about 10" long. seemed plenty for a 16gpm.

soaking and brushing in gas and parts cleaning fluid, decided to try and burn oil crud/residue with a bit of heat, it worked for the most part, with intentions of compressed air/2nd wash afterwards, except where i got a bit too close, seriously a blink of an eye and now i have a small 1/4" hole....GRR

mentioned it to him, he said no worries, since it was one of the smaller ones he'll use a shovel instead of a pick axe...

so in the next few nights going to experiment and see if i can booger and swell the hole shut with solder. if it's a failure. possibly a gobbered wad of RTV, figure if it breaks loose, pump will just grind it up and end up in the spin on....

/me shrugs

so, i figured of going with a fat pick up sock in the tank, and then on the return, hitting an inline spin on/off filter assembly, then a wild looking oil cooler, then back to tank. 16gpm 2stage.

seems sufficient?

oh, my tank, i cut open a 60lb propane tank so i can weld a 90* inside so the element is horizontal. Yes, it recently had propane in it, it was empty, how i did it?

welded bottom skirt to a 2" stock, slid it into receivver of truck. made a wild looking wrench to wrap the valve, spun it out, unless your man enough to bearhug it, or have a vise big enough, all i could think of quickly to hold it down stout enough to wrench the valve out, they're in might F'in tight...

fired up truck, hosed exhaust to bottom to displace oxygen. garden hose in the tailpipe, and GF's dishwashing rag to fill the void, take note, best to use something else instead of dish washing rags...

after about 10 mins, and a few 12oz curls later, fired up the torch, and cut her open.

i figured it'd be perfect, big, 3/4" return already welded on center, enough room for a baffle...there's 30-35 of them laying around, assumed it was ok to spare one.

oil cooler's are going to be older condensing cores, tripled up 7/16's on the return after the valve.

yes, it's gonna be wild. i'll at least paint it one color once done.

6" bore 5.5" ram. she'll retract like a rocket, the slide boxed around 12" I beam, with full length runnings following the flange edges. sorta like "III" with the tops and bottoms connected. Triple webbed?. not sure how else to describe it until i get stuff tacked and welded.

Last edited:
logic doesn't equate when ya are sniffin mercaptin

that's the stuff in propane to give it the odor.
The propane is long gone... Blowin' a little compressed air thru the tank is sufficient. But you still wonder... and people look at me funny when I light a cutting torch to a PROPANE BOTTLE!!! are ya nuts??

Oh, btw, when you figure in the size of the tank, and you no doubt will have way over 20 gallons of oil in there, you won't need the cooler assembly. 16 gpm is not that much, and the tank is more than capable of dissipating the heat. Crank that up past 22 gpm and you might have a point. However... one of the guidelines is tank size should be equal or greater than gpm.

I wanted to be sure oil is chilled. I have over 200 cores laying around, so why not?

I'm debating on the long insert/bushing style that's removable from outside of tank, but I can only find a 25gpm with a bypass.

The one that goes inside tank, 3 week wait, and 50gpm....

Combined with a spin on return, Atf should keep squeaky clean. Hard-to-find these types of filters in the size/flow I need.

Everyone seems to be out of the specific things I need.

I broke down and ordered a 9"x3" external with bypass. . So I can spin it out. No lid required. 50gpm.

Considering...

Your splitter, your way. Overkill is a good thing.

My little splitter has a 16gpm pump on it. Tank only for cooling. 1/2" hoses and it heats to 140 evidently it is okay... The other machine has a 22 gpm with 3/4 hoses and it doesn't get near that hot. Just saying...

Keep the oil clean is a great idea, and since you have the filters handy go for it.

What you are really setting up for is eventual upgrade to larger engine and pump. Which isn't a bad idea anyway.

Little splitter is destined to stay with the smaller pump because of 1/2 ports on my cylinder. Can't get much more thru them without creating a lot of back pressure and heat.

Yeah, I'd rather make the tank over plumbed, incase I do move to something else. Plus I'm too lazy to anticipate cutting the tank open again to weld in something else. $50 now is hundreds cheaper down the road. Including oil starved components.

Eventually may go with a FI duratec v6 odb2 driving a 38gpm, combined with fat couplers, presto, turn key, no carbed babysitting in - 30*F weather, portable hydraulic power plant. I plan on making a car crusher in the future.

Then keep the logsplitter on this tecumseh I got for free :) gotta start somewhere.

Biggest reason of is post, is are in tank strainers necessary with inline returns?

I suppose I'm just weird about keeping oil clean. Never know in the future where the system will be broken apart for repairs.

I figured if the oil is sucked clean, and also pumped into the tank clean, it can't get more fail safe then that.

Last edited:
Had to go with a 100# tank. Alot cooler now.

Latest posts

Back