pickup truck dump convertions...workie or no workie?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerry wayne

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Been trying all these site on this subject and with out any non salesman kind of hype would like some real life experiences to go buy thanks for your help broken backs arenot much fun:givebeer:

It might....

The only thing that I have heard is that a standard pickup bed isn't strong enough and will fall apart eventually. When that happens toss it, and install a flatbed!

I was going to get one of these, but got a different truck with dump already.

-Pat

I ve owned a bed conversion and found it didn t go high enough and wheel wells stopped a lot of stuff from coming out. Got to lift bed to gas up. Thought about getting an insert dump but still not very high dump angle, you lose a lot of space the orig bed had and for similar price you could buy a dump trailer that carries more , dumps higher and doesn t beat your pick up so much. You also don t pay another vehicle reg and insurance.

id buy a dump trailer or a small 1 ton dump truck. i had one of those kits on a pick up i had. worked okay. but the wheel wells do stop alot of stuff from falling out. they cost between 800. to 900 from northern tool then you have to put it on. the metal in pick up beds isn't really thick at all.

I have installed 9 of these units .
I have built 4 of them from scratch and some were premade mail order stuff.
All OK but not worth the hassle or cash in my opinion as they either dont lift high enough or when you work out the bugs and spend hours getting them to they still dont last .
they work good for guys that do yard service but to fill it with wood and do that all the time you will end up with broken bent parts .
I would build a dump trailer befor i would a truck.
you can fit more wood and still have a open bed for saws and a lunch cooler.
but if you have to have a tilt bed and need help with picking a system or can't decide between air or hydraulic just ask and i will tell ya what i know.

shayne

Back