Pics of my latest firewood haul and delivery!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TXTreeSurgeon

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So I decided not to sell any firewood this year because I was taking 12 graduate hours to finish my Master's degree at seminary (I am a Southern Baptist preacher). Well, I finished school 2 weeks ago, and I just couldn't help myself when a friend asked me to help him clear a standing dead live oak off of his property. With a good enough excuse to fire up the 362, I decided to help him cut the tree up for free, take all the stuff that was too big for him use for firewood without splitting it, and sell a little firewood to help pay the doctor's bills for my son who will be born later this month.

Now before someone accuses me of overloading my SUV and trailer, I just want you to know that I used to tow a cord of wood behind a Ford Escape. Hey, at least it had the V6 option! Anyways, this is the first wood haul for my new-to-me-but-6-years-old-woodhauler/family car. The trailer is homemade by my dad. It has a single 5,200lb axle, 7,000lb springs, 2 wheels and tires off a wrecked Chevy truck, and 1/4 plate steel floor with 2x6 sideboards. My dad built the sides high enough (2ft actually) that the trailer holds exactly 128 cu ft aka 1 cord of firewood. She sure is ugly, but she hauls wood beautifully!

Here is a pic of the Explorer and trailer after the 20 mile trip home:
View attachment 214879

This is a closer look at the trailer. The rounds ended up being 1-1/4 cords once split:
View attachment 214878

This shows how much clearance I had between the tires and fenders. 1/2"... geeze, I coulda put a few more logs on there!
View attachment 214880

Here is the wood stacked a customer's home. It measured 8' long, 3.5' (42") wide, and 4.8' (58") high. That's a total of 134.4 cu ft.
View attachment 214881

All together I had about 12 hours of total work in this cord of wood, including getting my saw and other equipment ready to go. I only charged $180 because the customer lives within spittin' distance of my house and I don't want to buy any local advertising this year (otherwise the price is $200/cord). I burned through approximately $30 in fuel, mix oil, and bar oil. So, basically I got paid $150 for 12 hours of work. $12.50/hr isn't exactly getting rich, but the money sure will come in handy!

Hope you guys enjoyed!

Oh, for any sharp readers, I kept the other 1/4 cord of wood to sell to someone else or just burn later myself. I don't have a fireplace anymore, but my family enjoys a good campfire!

Well done and congrats on the coming ankle biter ( God bless April 15th ) the only problem with loading that heavy is not starting is stopping in a safe assured clear distance. I just pulled my brothers mini excavator with my 3/4 truck the machine is tagged at 3950kg (8690 lbs) plus a full steel eqiupment trailer extra fuel buckets etc. was more then I wanted to do. Thank you generous motors for 4.10 gears 6 speeds and 14 inch rotors to stop the thing, I found out half way there that the trailer brakes were inop not happy:msp_mad: needless to say I wont haul it back for him

Yeah, I know what you mean about stopping a heavy load. I am careful to keep about 1/4 mile distance between myself and other vehicles when I am towing a heavy load down the highway. I tested out the stopping abilities from 70mph going downhill. Without stepping on the brakes too hard, I was able to stop in a reasonable distance, probably 200 yards. I wish I had trailer brakes though. My dream trailer is a double 5,200lb axle PJ trailer (north Texas company) with electric brakes on both axles. However, the trailer I have is pretty good because it is capable of pulling a cord of wood and has 20" ground clearance when fully loaded (except under the axle, which is about 12" clearance). I wanted the trailer to have good ground clearance so that I could go into the woods and not have it hang up on stuff and get stuck. If I make enough money selling firewood next winter, maybe I can justify getting my dream trailer!

Yeah, I know what you mean about stopping a heavy load. I am careful to keep about 1/4 mile distance between myself and other vehicles when I am towing a heavy load down the highway.

The problem is that you have no control over when someone may choose to pull in front of you and eliminate the "cushion" that you have worked to develop. Worse yet, you could be targeted by schemers who "swoop and squat" in front of you to cause an accident in order to file false insurance claims and get rich.

I can't tell you how many times I have been driving one of my flatbed trucks or my roll back down the road with a visible load on it to have some clown that has been waiting at an intersection pull out in front of me and putter down the road, causing me to slam on brakes.

That's not a loaded Explorer. This is a loaded Explorer.

Scott

GOOD GRIEF!!! That might be pushing it a little, don't ya think?

Guido, I know I have to be careful about people like that. However, it really wasn't too difficult to stop the Explorer. I want to get a trailer with brakes one day, but it is not as if I can't safely haul wood without it. I have had crazy people pull out in front of me too. We just have to be careful and watch closely. If I see someone who might pull out in front of me, I always let off the gas and get my foot on top of the brake so that I am ready... whether I am towing or not.

Meaning

So, you being a Southern Baptist Preacher and dealing with firewood really know the meaning of the verse "How can you pull a splinter out of my eye when you have a log coming out of your own".

:D:D:D

I think you're fine with that load, should be well within the rated towing capacity for the Explorer. Without trailer brakes you'll wear your brakes faster, but should still be able to stop ok.

Mr. HE:cool:

So, you being a Southern Baptist Preacher and dealing with firewood really know the meaning of the verse "How can you pull a splinter out of my eye when you have a log coming out of your own".

:D:D:D

haha, yeah. I never thought of that. Hopefully I never have to pull a log out of my eye, but I have had sawdust in there quite a few times!

GOOD GRIEF!!! That might be pushing it a little, don't ya think?

Guido, I know I have to be careful about people like that. However, it really wasn't too difficult to stop the Explorer. I want to get a trailer with brakes one day, but it is not as if I can't safely haul wood without it. I have had crazy people pull out in front of me too. We just have to be careful and watch closely. If I see someone who might pull out in front of me, I always let off the gas and get my foot on top of the brake so that I am ready... whether I am towing or not.

There is close to 2 cords in the trailer. The trailer weighs around 4500# empty. I didn't take it on the hwy like that. I just moved it around the farm in 4x4 low. I would never tow that on the road. It didn't want to stop it going 5mph. I have towed the trailer on the hwy empty before. It gets a lot of funny looks.

Scott

That's not a loaded Explorer. This is a loaded Explorer.

Scott

good god
215077d1325687010-photo006-jpg

There is close to 2 cords in the trailer. The trailer weighs around 4500# empty. I didn't take it on the hwy like that. I just moved it around the farm in 4x4 low. I would never tow that on the road. It didn't want to stop it going 5mph. I have towed the trailer on the hwy empty before. It gets a lot of funny looks.

Scott

I'm glad you added that.:msp_sneaky:

I don't know about the laws down south (are there any?), but up in my neck of the woods, that dual axle trailer is REQUIRED to have brakes and an emergency break-away system on the trailer, and it needs to be safety inspected each year.

Ever see one come off with out the break-away system?

I have seen what happens when a 28 ft boat and trailer come off the hitch ging threw the marina and the brakes get applied. The trailer goes up really fast You hit the brakes realizing whats going on the brakes on the trailer set and the tailgate on your brand new truck looks like the ones the put on trucks with 5th wheel in the bed. Thank god we were only in the parking lot. The only time in 57 years my dad ever dropped a trailer I was in the truck and watched it unfold seemed like it took hours for it to happen/come to stop the tounge must have been 10-12 ft air. I just barily see it in the mirror Followed by the most cursing I had ever heard from my old man about 20 minutes non stop some kind of record ( kinda like Christmas Story) All this about a block from our house We were on out way to run a charter needless to say not a good day. I remember everythinig about that event whats on the radio the look on his face, his mates face and everyone in the marina. At any rate make sure you hook everything up as needed all we did was hook the boat up to the ball plug the lights in and I hooked the emergency brake cable/wire up Dad told me not to bother with the saftey chains we are only going a block. Alot can happen in a block less then 700 ft

I'm glad you added that.:msp_sneaky:

I don't know about the laws down south (are there any?), but up in my neck of the woods, that dual axle trailer is REQUIRED to have brakes and an emergency break-away system on the trailer, and it needs to be safety inspected each year.

Ever see one come off with out the break-away system?

It has brakes on both axles and a break away system. Here in Missouri you don't have to get the trailer inspected. Once you buy it and tag it you just have to renew the tags every three years. That's it nothing more.

Scott

Latest posts

Back